D&D 5E Constructive Criticism

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Most in my experience don't want feedback - they want validation for all those amazing no-stakes shopping and tavern scenes. It's best to hash out what you like and don't like in Session 0 in my view so the DM knows what to do in advance (and you, too). By the time you're offering feedback after the fact, it may already be too late.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I agree with @iserith that establishing as much as possible in session 0 is key.

Very often, it's not that the DM is "bad" but that they are not delivering the experience the table wants/expects.

I will disagree that feedback after the fact is often too late. It might be, but NOONE starts off as a great DM, it takes honing and practice.

So stick to actually being constructive, be nice, be specific and do not overload on too many things.

That said, the problem is "good" gaming is REALLY subjective and asking different people might well elicit contradictory advice.

So right back to - try to establish expectations/desires early and conform to them. Generally the best way to go.

Clint_L

Hero
So first, I suggest starting from a position of humility - I think everyone who posts here knows how much more work it is to DM a campaign as opposed to playing in one. So I would start with gratitude.

Secondly, I wouldn't give feedback unless asked for it, unless it is something that really matters (i.e. it makes you question whether you want to be a player in this campaign, or perhaps it is something that the DM is obviously unaware of but that is easily fixed, like they keep calling "Rafe" "Ralph" by mistake).

So, if asked I would frame my feedback very positively, using kind language. And I would focus on a few specific actionable items that apply to the entire group, not just to me. I would also have the conversation privately, in an affirming atmosphere.

I would also check myself very carefully - are these actually DM problems, or are they me problems? Being a DM is often a thankless job, and it is easy to criticize.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
It's really, really easy:

Talk about the parts of the GAME that you would like to see changed (shorter or longer combats; more or less RP; harder or easier fights; more or less exploration; more or less NPC influence; etc) and NOT about how much they "suck" at giving you those things without you having to ask.

Talk about the game itself and not their DMing of it. I can't imagine why anyone would mind that. It means you're invested.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
How to deliver a message that will work is going to largely depend on the person. I tailor my messages for the person, first, and fore most. If you dont know them that well, learn about forming storming norming performing. Once you do, give some fore thought to the message you are going to deliver.

When it comes to constructive criticisms, I always like to come to a discussion with possible recommendations. TTPRGs can be very tricky because one foot lies in objective mechanics, and the other subjective desires. As the latest balance vs fun thread can attest. Understand the two, the differences, the preferences, and then think of your audience.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Constructive criticism would be to give valid feedbacks and tell what you don't like in the campaign or way of DMing and what could be improved on by suggesting possible changes as well. While there might be DMs looking for validation, i truly believe there are people legitimately looking for constructive criticisms to get better so i wouldn't necessarily label it for anything other than what it is at face value.

Oofta

Legend
There's a ton of articles on how to give constructive feedback out there, most of it applies just as equally to giving feedback on DMing as anything else. DMing is a skill and all skills can be improved on.

I would say some of the important things would be to tell them what they're doing right, what they could improve, what they should cease doing. Followed by what they're doing right again.

Be specific, don't make it personal, accept that everyone has limitations and at least some of your issues may just be different expectations. Above all, never say anything like "you suck". Oh, and if they don't listen try DMing some time and then ask for constructive advice and see how it feels when the shoe is on the other foot.

Remove ads