• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Content Warning Labels? Yeah or Nay?

Sacrosanct

Legend
Here's a query I have regarding this particular creature... is there a page previous to this one that you didn't post that had the details of the myths and lore that this creature comes from? Because the one thing I liked about your original posting regarding the Myling was that your lore section talked about why the creature existed in myth and what caused the creature to become what it was-- the parent killing the child for X or Y reason and now the spirit of the child is looking for a proper burial. Now I know that lore section you included was because it was meant to be part of the 'Content Warning'... but honestly I think even if you didn't specifically call out the Warning part of it... the lore and the explanations of the myth itself I think are a hugely important part of the Myling's write-up. Without it... if it's lore is merely like one sentence of "little children killed by parents and not given a proper burial"... it makes me wonder why it's even in the book in the first place when we already have so many other Ghosts and spirit stat blocks? That Content Warning description of the myth gave me more story-wise why using this particular creature (and its statblock) was useful rather than just your generic "ghost". And I think that's a great thing.

And that's why I wondered if the Glashtyn write-up here was missing the page of myth and lore. Because for this creature it's entire story is two sentences underneath the statblock that describe what it looks like and what it does, and two small bits of "lore & rumors" that are behaviors. But this page has nothing about where this creature came from mythologically-speaking, what it's purpose was in the stories and myths from whence it came, how it came to exist as a creature within the myths, what are the story reasons why its a sea-horse / man hybrid, and why it wants / needs to go after young women? Those are all incredibly important story notes to have in my opinion because it gives us a reason to use this specific creature in our games in the specific instance that it is useful. Because if you don't include that stuff... it otherwise becomes merely just another humanoid shapechanger that wants to kill people. It's a Doppleganger with a horse head instead of a blank face, and-- at least to me-- pretty much an unnecessary addition to the game. So I hope you kept and included all the stories and myths and wrote them all up because that stuff gives us the flavor for why this creature should be used instead of just dropping in a doppleganger. And that's the kind of stuff that I think is great!
Much of the lore doesn't ever give the reasons. Why does it target young women? Because that's how the lore goes, with no other reasoning. Why do so many creatures eat or torture children? No other reason, just that's what was told. If I were a guessing man, I'd guess it was a way to keep children scared and to show how "naughty" children get punished. Or because ideas back then were heavily misogynistic so women get punished for no reason other than that. There are two creatures I didn't include because one of them was extremely skinny while the other monster was really fat. Why? Because the fat monster ate good husbands so it had plenty of food available, and the skinny one only ate good wives, and since those are hard to fine, it starved.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
You know what. WOTC should put content warnings on any product that has the potential to trigger. Many people have a phobia about spiders. Better put a trigger warning on that. Many hate closed spaces. Better put a trigger warning on any cave or dungeon situation. Same for snakes, dogs, large predators, all reptiles, any situation that gets into slavery, sacrifice, any potential harm to children.

In fact, many people find violence offensive. Watch any TV show and see the warnings about that. And we can't forget all the people triggered by any form of mind control, so warnings on all charm based spells. So pretty much all of D&D should come with warnings.
It's always funny to see those people who are clearly triggered by trigger warnings. :cautious:

HammerMan

Legend
You know what. WOTC should put content warnings on any product that has the potential to trigger. Many people have a phobia about spiders. Better put a trigger warning on that. Many hate closed spaces. Better put a trigger warning on any cave or dungeon situation. Same for snakes, dogs, large predators, all reptiles, any situation that gets into slavery, sacrifice, any potential harm to children.

In fact, many people find violence offensive. Watch any TV show and see the warnings about that. And we can't forget all the people triggered by any form of mind control, so warnings on all charm based spells. So pretty much all of D&D should come with warnings.

I have Ophidiophobia (fear if snakes) It is unrashinal, un controllable, and to my niece who is now 13 funny as all heck since she was 3. I also dislike looking down from heights, and can get vertigo if I am not careful. I dislike bugs, but am not afraid of them (well most but I refuse to call a fear of wasps a phobia...it is justified). I am of a fan of mac an cheese, I would prefer not to have rodents in my house. We all have likes/dislikes and fear (both rational and irational). not everything needs a warning.

If you have a yantie in your product it will not make me jump. if you have a surprise snake in a movie it might be a jump scare for me...and if it is on screen too long maybe make me apprehensive.

None of that has ever sent me into a panic attack, not once. (okay the giant deadly poison snake in my garden that my then 8 year old niece swore was just harmless as she picked it up and threw it over the fence came close).

On the other hand talk of some taboo/bad things happening to young people has caused me panic attacks. Not seeing it, not knowing the person, just the discussion of the theoretical use of it in fiction. (I am being vague on purpose).

I can't watch Law and Order SVU, and couldn't even when I like cop shows.

One of my best friends (and maybe one of the top 3 DMs I have ever met) can walk around with a snake on her, can watch SVU and talk about all kinds of horrible things that make me uncomfortable, and she can stand on the edge of a 4 story drop no problem... but I know what triggers her... and it is 500x worse then any panic attack I have ever had. I can on the other hand not imagine fearing or being upset by her trigger...

I have family and friends that survived many years in the military. SOme are fine, some are crazy, but a few have real bad PTSD... they can't even read superhero comics or watch watered down disney superhero films...

everyone is different, and we can NEVER label everything... but that doesn't mean we don't try to get the big things.

edit: mind control is a whole nother can of wyrms I may post about in it's own thread...

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Many of the core themes about fairies resonate in nearly every culture and may be triggering. These themes focus heavily on abduction, violating consent, sexual assault, child abuse, and mild torture. I feel it is my responsibility to call out references to these themes and have them labeled. This will be in the creature entry as “CONTENT WARNING” next to the creature’s name.
My main question is a practical one: if it is that prevalent, what percentage of the entries in the book are going to end up being flagged? The phrasing here makes it sound like it you might better off with a blanket warning for the whole book, because it will be of limited usefulness to someone who wants to avoid the flagged stuff.

Sacrosanct

Legend
My main question is a practical one: if it is that prevalent, what percentage of the entries in the book are going to end up being flagged? The phrasing here makes it sound like it you might better off with a blanket warning for the whole book, because it will be of limited usefulness to someone who wants to avoid the flagged stuff.
Understandable if you missed it, but I posted upthread it's about 10%

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter

Mod Note:

You seem to like warnings, so here’s one: knock off with the slippery slope BS topic with weakness, etc. Much more of this, and you may find yourself “edited”.

I have Ophidiophobia (fear if snakes) It is unrashinal, un controllable, and to my niece who is now 13 funny as all heck since she was 3. I also dislike looking down from heights, and can get vertigo if I am not careful. I dislike bugs, but am not afraid of them (well most but I refuse to call a fear of wasps a phobia...it is justified). I am of a fan of mac an cheese, I would prefer not to have rodents in my house. We all have likes/dislikes and fear (both rational and irational). not everything needs a warning.

If you have a yantie in your product it will not make me jump. if you have a surprise snake in a movie it might be a jump scare for me...and if it is on screen too long maybe make me apprehensive.

None of that has ever sent me into a panic attack, not once. (okay the giant deadly poison snake in my garden that my then 8 year old niece swore was just harmless as she picked it up and threw it over the fence came close).

On the other hand talk of some taboo/bad things happening to young people has caused me panic attacks. Not seeing it, not knowing the person, just the discussion of the theoretical use of it in fiction. (I am being vague on purpose).

I can't watch Law and Order SVU, and couldn't even when I like cop shows.

One of my best friends (and maybe one of the top 3 DMs I have ever met) can walk around with a snake on her, can watch SVU and talk about all kinds of horrible things that make me uncomfortable, and she can stand on the edge of a 4 story drop no problem... but I know what triggers her... and it is 500x worse then any panic attack I have ever had. I can on the other hand not imagine fearing or being upset by her trigger...

I have family and friends that survived many years in the military. SOme are fine, some are crazy, but a few have real bad PTSD... they can't even read superhero comics or watch watered down disney superhero films...

everyone is different, and we can NEVER label everything... but that doesn't mean we don't try to get the big things.

edit: mind control is a whole nother can of wyrms I may post about in it's own thread...
So we are in agreement. Virtually all of D&D should come with a trigger warning, as every source of canon contains at least one creature/ situation that will trigger someone. Most sources of canon contain many many such creatures/ situations.

Remove ads