D&D 5E Content Warning Labels? Yeah or Nay?

Yaarel

He Mage
Honestly, it doesn't matter what edition it first appeared in. It's the term used in 5e, and this is a 5e compatible book, so that's the term I'm using to avoid confusion where possible.
If the scope of the book is merely the 5e D&D nomenclature, it would be misleading to claim it represents the reallife British folklore in its original historical context, including its grimmer, anecdotal quality resembling a frightening encounter with a ghost or a demon.

Sacrosanct

Legend
If the scope of the book is merely the 5e D&D nomenclature, it would be misleading to claim it represents the reallife British folklore in its original historical context, including its grimmer, anecdotal quality resembling a frightening encounter with a ghost or a demon.
Not at all. I feel I've explained this in the screen shot I provided. You absolutely can use the term "fey" as a broad term while keeping the individual name, folklore, and descriptions in each monster entry as they appeared in originating folklore.

I don't think that's misleading at all. But I'll admit my error if others also feel that's misleading

Vaalingrade

Legend
Again, just like with the warnings, there's no need for the perfect to be the enemy of the good.

People are familiar with 'fey', the game Sarcosanct is developing for uses 'fey' and if they used 'fay', people would call it a typo.

Yaarel

He Mage
Not at all. I feel I've explained this in the screen shot I provided. You absolutely can use the term "fey" as a broad term while keeping the individual name, folklore, and descriptions in each monster entry as they appeared in originating folklore.

I don't think that's misleading at all. But I'll admit my error if others also feel that's misleading.

The first time when mentioning "fey", I would let the reader know that it is incorrect, and that the correct term is "fay", but the book intentionally uses the D&D nomenclature for gaming purposes.

Relatedly, I would also mention that the book adopts a British point of view that appropriates traditions from other cultures and reinterprets them as if within the British concept of a Faerie realm.

Yaarel

He Mage
I agree about, good is good enough.

Again, just like with the warnings, there's no need for the perfect to be the enemy of the good.

People are familiar with 'fey', the game Sarcosanct is developing for uses 'fey' and if they used 'fay', people would call it a typo.

Sacrosanct

Legend
The first time when mentioning "fey", I would let the reader know that it is incorrect, and that the correct term is "fay", but the book intentionally uses the D&D nomenclature for haming purposes.

I would also mention that the book adopts a British point of view that appropriates traditions from other cultures and reinterprets them as if within the British concept of a Faerie realm.
I'm confused, because I literally do that in that screen shot. Have you read that page?

I have only skimmed the preceding pages, but the conversation as a whole indicates the importance of the hows and whys of including material. Putting warnings on obviously borderline material is helpful, but a general process of how to identify and handle what specific material is problematic for your group is better. And what I like to see from products is not just a content warning but an explanation of different ways to handle an aspect (say of an adventure) or even an explanation as to what purpose potentially problematic material serves for the overall story you are trying to tell. The specific context is that there are a lot of products out there there relish in their own edginess (osr, looking at you). In some cases the edgelord aesthetic of their products seems to stem from an author's (toxic) worldview, many times not. Nevertheless, it is difficult as a consumer to always tell. For authors, if someone does not share your sensibilities, are there ways for them to still make use of the product, or should they just stay away?

Yaarel

He Mage
I'm confused, because I literally do that in that screen shot. Have you read that page?
I didnt see the correct spelling "fay".

When intentionally using an incorrect term, it is important to let the reader know it is because of artistic license and not ignorance.

The topic of fairies and magic is rife with nonacademics who are unaware of accurate information.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I didnt see the correct spelling "fay".

When intentionally using an incorrect term, it is important to let the reader know it is because of artistic license and not ignorance.

The topic of fairies and magic is rife with nonacademics who are unaware of accurate information.
1637357042488.png

I have it right there. And on the first page I give definitions of the word. I'm sorry if I'm sounding hostile towards your position; it's not my intention. But what is sounds like, is that unless I'm writing the book in Old English, then it's misleading. I think you're going a bit far and unreasonable here in your ask. I'm not writing an academic paper (despite my citations). I'm writing a 5e gamebook, depicting the creatures of mythology and folklore of several European regions as they appeared (or as close as possible because often there were discrepancies) in that folklore as opposed to how they are often depicted in modern literature/media/games.

That's it. It's not a PhD thesis. The audience won't largely care.

Remove ads