OD&D Converted OD&D vermin

Sixten

First Post
I've dug up and updated to 3.5E some conversions I'd done of some critters from Basic/Expert D&D. Since I'm not very experienced at this yet (conversions in general, or updates to 3.5), I'd appreciate any feedback y'all might have to offer. I can post the OD&D stats for comparison if requested.

Monstrous Spider, Tarantella

Large Vermin
HD: 4d8+4 (22 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares), climb 20 ft.
Armor Class: 15 (-1 size, +3 Dex, +3 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+8
Attack: Bite +3 melee (1d8+1 plus poison)
Full Attack: Bite +3 melee (1d8+1 plus poison)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Poison
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., tremorsense 60 ft., vermin traits
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +1
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 17, Con 12, Int -, Wis 10, Cha 2
Skills: Climb +11, Hide +3, Jump +11, Spot +8
Feats: --
Environment: Temperate and warm forest and underground
Organization: Solitary or Pod (1-3)
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: 10% chance of 1-100 cp and 1-100 sp, 5% chance of carrying 1 gem, and 5% chance of any item
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: -

The monstrous tarantella does not spin webs. Rather, it is a hunting spider with a unique venom.

Poison (Su): The bite of a tarantella causes painful spasms that resemble a frantic dance. The victim may make a Fortitude save (DC 13) to negate the effect. If the save is failed, the victim suffers a -2 circumstance penalty to all attack rolls, checks, and Reflex saves, and opponents gain a +2 circumstance bonus on rolls to hit the affected creature. The "dance" will continue for 2d6 x 10 minutes. However, the victim will tire quickly, becoming fatigued after ten minutes, exhausted after thirty, and falling unconscious after an hour. Dispel magic or neutralize poison will stop the dancing.

Tremorsense (Ex): A monstrous tarantella can detect and pinpoint any creature or object within 60 feet in contact with the ground.

Skills: Monstrous tarantellas receive a +8 racial bonus to Climb checks, a +4 racial bonus to Hide checks, a +10 racial bonus to Jump checks, and a +8 racial bonus to Spot checks. A monstrous tarantellas uses its Dexterity modifier on Climb checks, and can always choose to take 10, even if rushed or threatened.

Last edited:

Sixten

First Post
Robber Fly

Small Vermin
HD: 2d8 (9 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), fly 60 ft. (good)
Armor Class: 15 (+1 size, +1 Dex, +3 natural), 12 touch, 14 flat-footed
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-5
Attack: Bite +3 melee (1d6-2)
Full Attack: Bite +3 melee (1d6-2)
Space/Reach: 5 ft. by 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., vermin traits
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +1, Will +0
Abilities: Str 6, Dex 13, Con 10, Int -, Wis 11, Cha 5
Skills: Hide +7
Feats: Weapon finesse {B}
Environment: Any temperate and warm land
Organization: Solitary or Swarm (2-12)
Challenge Rating: 1/2
Treasure: 10% chance of 1-100 cp and 1-100 sp, 5% chance of carrying 1 gem, and 5% chance of any item

A robber fly is a 3' long giant fly with black and yellow stripes. From a distance, robber flies look like killer bees. They are carnivores, and may attack adventurers. However, they prefer killer bees as food, and they are immune to their poison.

Skills: Robber flies gain a +6 racial bonus to Hide checks.

Sixten

First Post
Swamp Termite

Tiny Vermin (Aquatic)
HD: 1d8 (4 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: Swim 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 14 (+2 size, +1 Dex, +1 natural), 13 touch, 13 flat-footed
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-12
Attack: Bite +3 melee (1d4-4)
Full Attack: Bite +3 melee (1d4-4)
Space/Reach: 2 1/2 ft. / 0 ft.
Special Attacks: Ink spray
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., vermin traits
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +1, Will +0
Abilities: Str 2, Dex 12, Con 11, Int -, Wis 10, Cha 2
Skills: --
Feats: Weapon finesse {B}
Environment: Temperate and warm aquatic and marsh
Organization: Group (1-4) or Swarm (2-20)
CR: 1
Treasure: None

Ink spray (Ex): The termite does not bite unless cornered; instead, it uses an inky spray for defense. When frightened above water, a ranged touch attack must be made (maximum range 5 ft.). A victim hit by the spray must succeed at a Fortitude save (DC 10) or be paralyzed for 2d6 minutes. Underwater, the ink instead forms a spherical cloud roughly 5 ft. in diameter. Creatures inside the cloud are considered blinded under they move outside of it. The ink cloud will dissipate after 1d4 minutes.

the Jester

Legend
Looks good...

I would change the taratella poison so an initial save makes the victim 'dance' for a minute, then allow them a followup save to avoid dancing for another 2d6x10 minutes.

Sixten

First Post
the Jester said:
I would change the taratella poison so an initial save makes the victim 'dance' for a minute, then allow them a followup save

Interesting suggestion. One minute should be enough to remove a victim from combat for a while, but give them a chance to recover before they are doomed to unconciousness, yeah? Should the difficulty of the secondary save be the same?

bobh

First Post
Sixten said:
Skills: Climb +11, Hide +10, Jump +6, Spot +11

Skills: Monstrous tarantellas receive a +8 racial bonus to Climb checks, a +4 racial bonus to Hide checks, a +10 racial bonus to Jump checks, and a +8 racial bonus to Spot checks. A monstrous tarantellas uses its Dexterity modifier on Climb checks, and can always choose to take 10, even if rushed or threatened.

Unless I'm mistaken, the skill ranks don't match up to the ability modifiers plus skill bonuses for the Tarantella Spider.

For each of the spider special abilities with a save DC, it's normal at v3.5 to also list what ability the save DC is based upon. That's useful, for example, if a monster ability is magically boosted or the monster is advanced to a larger size with different ability modifiers.

Thanks.

Sixten

First Post
bobh said:
Unless I'm mistaken, the skill ranks don't match up to the ability modifiers plus skill bonuses for the Tarantella Spider.
Wow. No, they don't seem to, do they? Yikes.

That should be:
Skills: Climb +11, Hide +3, Jump +11, Spot +8

Good point about the saving throws. I'll add that in later.

Remove ads