• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Converting 4E to Al-Qadim

Ok, you've really set my wheels spinning now. I'm going to reread the Land of Fate boxed set to get a feel for the direction Jeff Grubb/Steve Kurtz and the rest were taking Zakhara. I'll save a more meaty response for later.

Much obliged :)

And now for something completely different...here is my take on the Hakima cleric build! Anythingwith an asterisk* is new content. Still have to develop a couple new powers & rituals, but here it is for now.

Hakima [Cleric]
Gifted with insight, the hakima is a wise woman whose advice strengthens the meek and whose prophetic warnings bring down the mighty.
Hakima Class Features: Channel Divinity: Divine Fortune, Channel Divinity: Truth Sense*, Healing Word, Wisdom’s Lore*, Ritual Casting
Suggested Feat: Acumen*
Suggested Skills: Heal, Insight, Perception, Religion
Suggested At-Will Powers: Perjury’s Bane*, Priest’s Shield
Suggested Encounter Power: Cause Fear
Suggested Daily Power: Guardian of Faith
Suggested Paragon Path: Divine Oracle

Ritual Casting
You gain Ritual Caster as a bonus feat, allowing you to use magical rituals. You possess a ritual book with two rituals you have mastered: Avert Evil Eye* and one other of your choice.

Wisdom’s Lore
Your insights into men’s souls allow you to maximize your divine powers to your allies’ benefit. Add half your Wisdom modifier to any power bonus you provide your allies, though if the power bonus lists a different ability modifier, replace it with Wisdom instead (e.g. “+ Charisma modifier” becomes “+Wisdom modifier”).

Channel Divinity: Truth Sense
Alternate Cleric Class Feature
Your penetrating glare pierces deception and shakes the resolve of the most hardened criminals, providing you insight into their character.
Encounter * Divine
Standard Action Close burst 2 (5 at 11th level, 8 at 21st level)
Target: Each creature in burst
Attack: Wisdom vs. Will
Hit: You learn whether the target(s) is disguised or lying; you may learn their true class, level, race, alignment or station (pick one). Deceitful creatures take 1d6 + Wisdom psychic damage unless they reveal the truth.
Increase damage to 1d6 + Wisdom modifier at 5th level, 3d6 + Wisdom modifier at 11th level, 4d6 + Wisdom modifier at 15th level, 5d6 + Wisdom modifier at 21st level, and 6d6 + Wisdom modifier at 25th level.
Miss: You learn whether the target(s) is disguised or lying, and deal half damage.

Acumen [Heroic feat]
Benefit: Anytime you succeed an Insight check by 5 or more than the target number, you also learn what lies underneath or causes the motive, outside influence, or illusion. For example, you could learn a rebel’s wrath at the duke is driven by the death of a loved one, or that the king is under his vizier’s charm, or that the illusion conceals a pit trap.
You also gain a +2 feat bonus to Insight checks.

Some really good stuff here. I think that going with alternate versions of the base class features and builds is an excellent approach for our purposes.

Wisdom's Lore is a very interesting feature. It'd have to be playtested to ensure balance, particularly the bit where the Kakima can replace all the str buffs with wis buffs.

I think the 'Turn Untruthful' power ought to apply against stealthed opponents as well. It'll make the Hakima the anti-gnome, but I'm pretty comfortable with that.

Maybe Acumen could aid perception checks as well? There's a decent amount of Hakima abilities that apply to perception as well as the apply to insight.

Quickleaf

Legend
Wisdom's Lore is a very interesting feature. It'd have to be playtested to ensure balance, particularly the bit where the Kakima can replace all the str buffs with wis buffs.
Maybe my wording was bad. I didn't mean the "Strength modifier" to damage, I meant the power bonus (which is usually Charisma or a set number, with a few exceptions) as in "allies within the blast gain a +2 power bonus to attack rolls until the end of your next turn."

I think the 'Turn Untruthful' power ought to apply against stealthed opponents as well. It'll make the Hakima the anti-gnome, but I'm pretty comfortable with that.
Agreed. Make it so that it reveals hidden & invisible, and one of the options for more info (e.g. race/class/level/alignment/station) will be their precise location. Not too powerful, right?

Maybe Acumen could aid perception checks as well? There's a decent amount of Hakima abilities that apply to perception as well as the apply to insight.
Well, in 4e detecting illusions is governed by Insight, and I being trained in Perception makes you OK at finding secret doors. I was using the Alertness feat as a model, and it would make sense for a Hakima to take that feat too. Of course, at 11th level, if the PC takes the Divine Oracle paragon path, they can't be surprised anymore.

Quickleaf

Legend
As I put the finishing touches on the hakima, I've also taken a first pass at the AQ clerics of order...

...I still need help with the Pragmatist's replacement for "healer's lore", and with at-will powers for the Ethoist & Moralist.

Pragmatist
Tolerant and contemporary priests, Clerics of the Faith Pragmatic strive to match religious tradition to the current needs of the people, and thus often serve as mediators in times of religious conflict. They live and travel among the common folk of Zakhara, listening and helping where they can. In the pragmatist’s eyes, all gods are equal, and the gentlest hand sets the best example.
Class Features: Channel Divinity: Divine Fortune, Channel Divinity: Turn Undead, Healing Word, Peacemaker’s Lore*, Ritual Casting
Class Skills: Diplomacy, Heal, History, Insight, Religion, Streetwise
Suggested Feat: Cleric of the People
Suggested Skills: Diplomacy, Heal, Religion, Streetwise
Suggested At-Will Powers: Divine Intercession*, Priest’s Shield
Suggested Encounter Power: Healing Strike
Suggested Daily Power: Beacon of Hope
Suggested Paragon Path: Wandering Saint*

Peacemaker’s Lore ??
Your willingness to learn from all faiths and people makes you skilled at negotiating with hostile forces.

Divine Intercession [Cleric Attack 1]
A burst of light and air keeps enemies away from a surrounded ally.
At-Will * Divine, Implement, Radiant
Standard Action Burst 1 within 5 squares of you, centered on an ally
Target: Each enemy in burst
Hit: Push the target(s) away from your ally a number of squares equal to 1+ your Charisma modifier. Any of these targets attacking your ally until the end of your next turn suffers 1d6 + Wisdom modifier radiant damage and is pushed away 1 square after their attack.
Increase damage to 2d6 + Wisdom modifier at 21st level.

Cleric of the People [Divinity, Heroic tier feat]
Prerequisites: Channel Divinity class feature
Special: You may only take one of the following feats: Cleric of the People, Keeper of the Faith, or Weight of Doctrine.
Benefit: You can invoke the power of your deity to use Cleric of the People.

Channel Divinity: Cleric of the People [Feat Power]
You travel among the common people to spread the word of your faith, and are rewarded by having the ability to understand the lifestyle and needs of the people better.
Daily * Divine
Free Action, Personal
Effect: You gain a +5 divine bonus to your next Diplomacy or Streetwise skill check.

Ethoist
Clerics of the Faith Ethical tend the flock, making the call for prayer, delivering sermons, performing saining, marriage, and funerary rituals, and taking care of the mosques. While tolerant of others faiths, Ethoists believe their faith is the one true way, and thus feel empowered to lead their community. Occasionally they will travel when on a missionary assignment requires them to establish a new center of worship, and sometimes as a personal test of faith.
Class Features: Channel Divinity: Divine Fortune, Channel Divinity: Turn Undead, Healing Word, Healer’s Lore, Ritual Casting
Class Skills: Arcana, Diplomacy, Heal, History, Insight, Religion
Suggested Feat: Keeper of the Faith
Suggested Skills: Heal, History, Insight, Religion,
Suggested At-Will Powers: Priest’s Shield
Suggested Encounter Power: Healing Strike
Suggested Daily Power: Guardian of Faith
Suggested Paragon Path: Imam*

Keeper of the Faith [Divinity, Heroic tier feat]
Special: You may only take one of the following feats: Cleric of the People, Keeper of the Faith, or The Weight of Doctrine.
Benefit: You can invoke the power of your deity to use Keeper of the Faith.

Channel Divinity: Keeper of the Faith [Feat Power]
You are one of the priests that maintain the infrastructure of your religion, seeing to it that sermons are given, the flock is reasonably well cared for, and the day-to-day business of the church is preserved. Your can call on your divine powers to help in your duties.
Daily * Divine
Free Action, Personal
Effect: You gain a +5 divine bonus to your next Healing or Religion skill check.

Moralist
Class Features: Channel Divinity: Divine Fortune, Channel Divinity: Turn Undead, Healing Word, Evangelist’s Lore*, Ritual Casting
Class Skills: Heal, History, Insight, Intimidate, Religion
Suggested Feat: The Weight of Doctrine
Suggested Skills: Heal, History, Intimidate, Religion
Suggested At-Will Powers: Indictment*, Righteous Brand
Suggested Encounter Power: Cause Fear
Suggested Daily Power: Avenging Flame
Suggested Paragon Path: Imam*

Evangelist’s Lore
Your zealotry makes it difficult for enemies to evade your inevitable powers, the better to make them submit to conversion. Your enemies take a penalty to saves against your powers equal to your Wisdom modifier.

Indictment [Cleric Attack 1]
??
At-Will * Divine, Implement, Radiant
Standard Action Burst 1 within 5 squares of you, centered on an ally
Target: Each enemy in burst
Hit:

The Weight of Doctrine [Divinity, Heroic tier feat]
Special: You may only take one of the following feats: Cleric of the People, Keeper of the Faith, or Weight of Doctrine.
Benefit: You can invoke the power of your deity to use The Weight of Doctrine.

Channel Divinity: The Weight of Doctrine [Feat Power]
You are a member of the most militant wing of your church's faith, and have no problem crushing the will or the reputations of those who commit heresy and blasphemy with the weight of historical fact or strong-arm tactics. You can add your divine powers to the strength of your unwavering faith in the literal interpretation of your church's doctrine.
Daily * Divine
Free Action, Personal
Effect: You gain a +5 divine bonus to your next History or Intimidate skill check.

Healer's Lore seems like a good Pragmatist talent, actually, both since they're supposed to be the base line and since better basic healing seems in line with the character of Pragmatists.

The Ethoists, though, should get something like Lawgiver's Lore that let's them extend the duration of effects.

Alternately, didn't Pragmatists get an especially good chance to call on Fate?

Quickleaf

Legend
Healer's Lore seems like a good Pragmatist talent, actually, both since they're supposed to be the base line and since better basic healing seems in line with the character of Pragmatists.

The Ethoists, though, should get something like Lawgiver's Lore that let's them extend the duration of effects.

Alternately, didn't Pragmatists get an especially good chance to call on Fate?
Maybe Lawgiver's Lore could extend the duration of power bonuses to allies from "until the end of your next turn" to "until the end of your turn X rounds from now, where X = your Wisdom modifier"?
The drawback is this would increase bookeeping, but it makes sense since the Ethoists are all about making the faith endure.

Maybe Lawgiver's Lore could extend the duration of power bonuses to allies from "until the end of your next turn" to "until the end of your turn X rounds from now, where X = your Wisdom modifier"?
The drawback is this would increase bookeeping, but it makes sense since the Ethoists are all about making the faith endure.

Hmm, I'd say make it X = your INT modifier. That might still be abusable, but it would certainly make it less powerful than a wis bonus.

Or you could still go wis but limit the bonus to non attack and non damage. So you'd get your +1 to AC for 4 rounds but not your +2 to attack for 4 rounds.

Quickleaf

Legend
Hmm, I'd say make it X = your INT modifier. That might still be abusable, but it would certainly make it less powerful than a wis bonus.

Or you could still go wis but limit the bonus to non attack and non damage. So you'd get your +1 to AC for 4 rounds but not your +2 to attack for 4 rounds.
Hmm. I like this second idea best for ethoists.

Also, what builds do you see for the other classes? Here's my list so far...

Cleric
Hakima
Pragmatist
Ethoist
Moralist

Fighter
Guard
Mamluk
Mercenary

Paladin
Faris
Ghazi

Ranger
Corsair
Desert Rider

Rogue
Sa'luk
Barber
Beggar-Thief
Merchant
Holy Slayer?

Warlock
Fated (fate pact)
Sha'ir (djinn pact)

Warlord
Amir

Wizard
Elemental Mage
Philosopher (combination digitalogist, astrologer, alchemist)

Hodag

First Post

Warlock
Fated (fate pact)
Sha'ir (djinn pact)

The first creatures I've been working on are the Gen, mainly because of the Sha'ir class. I've been going over the excerpt for Figs of Wondrous Power, to get some idea on how to build a companion. Any suggestions are more then welcome...

Hmm. I like this second idea best for ethoists.

Cleric
Hakima
Pragmatist
Ethoist
Moralist

Fighter
Guard
Mamluk
Mercenary

Paladin
Faris
Ghazi

Ranger
Corsair
Desert Rider

Rogue
Sa'luk
Barber
Beggar-Thief
Merchant
Holy Slayer?

Warlock
Fated (fate pact)
Sha'ir (djinn pact)

Warlord
Amir

Wizard
Elemental Mage
Philosopher (combination digitalogist, astrologer, alchemist)

Hmm, some additions in no particular order:

Fighter:
Champion

Warlock:
Kahin
Astrologer
Demon-Pact

Warlord:
Rawun
Barber (the weapon training is off, but otherwise the Barber works for a Warlord, how could we work it? Limit the armor to hide?)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads