• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Forgotten Realms monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleon

Legend
Oh, right. Let's just drop the positive levels. And fix the "whish." :p

We could still give them the +1000 XP though, although I'd be OK just having a neutral captor gains XP as if it had defeated a foe of the Silver Hound's CR.

Shade

Monster Junkie
The "silver dog is considered defeated" idea has merit. :)

So...

Silver Dog's Boon or Bane (Su): Capturing a silver dog is a risky proposition. A true neutral character that captures a silver dog and has no intent to harm the silver dog will be granted a wish (as the spell) and gains gains experience points as if it had defeated the creature. If a non-neutral character or one who wishes to harm the silver dog captures the creature, the silver dog disintegrates, and the character instead takes 2d4 negative levels. These never cause actual level loss, but they persist until the character receives a break enchantment or similar spell. This same bane applies to any character who kills a silver dog.

One bit is bothering me, though...

As soon as the wish is fulfilled, the silver dog disappears as per teleport without error.

Instead of "the silver dog disintegrates", how about it instead "is immediately teleported to its hidden lair"? If we need a mechanic, it would probably be "as a refuge spell".

Cleon

Legend
The "silver dog is considered defeated" idea has merit. :)

So...

Silver Dog's Boon or Bane (Su): Capturing a silver dog is a risky proposition. A true neutral character that captures a silver dog and has no intent to harm the silver dog will be granted a wish (as the spell) and gains gains experience points as if it had defeated the creature. If a non-neutral character or one who wishes to harm the silver dog captures the creature, the silver dog disintegrates, and the character instead takes 2d4 negative levels. These never cause actual level loss, but they persist until the character receives a break enchantment or similar spell. This same bane applies to any character who kills a silver dog.

One bit is bothering me, though...

Instead of "the silver dog disintegrates", how about it instead "is immediately teleported to its hidden lair"? If we need a mechanic, it would probably be "as a refuge spell".

it only teleports away if it grants the wish, not when it disintegrates. I was thinking word of recall would be a good reference.

Revising...

Silver Dog's Boon or Bane (Su): Capturing a silver dog is a risky proposition. A true neutral character that captures a silver dog and has no intent to harm the silver dog will be granted a wish (as the spell) and gains experience points as if it had defeated the creature. Once the wish is granted the dog teleports away to its home (as if it had cast the refuge spell on itself). If a non-neutral character or one who wishes to harm the silver dog captures the creature, the silver dog disintegrates, and the character instead takes 2d4 negative levels. These negative levels never cause actual level loss, but they persist until the character receives a break enchantment or similar spell. This same bane applies to any character who kills a silver dog.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I think Shade meant that the silver dog shouldn't actually die when just captured. I could go along with that, since I think the main point was just so that the captor doesn't get to keep a silver dog or its pelt.

Cleon

Legend
I think Shade meant that the silver dog shouldn't actually die when just captured. I could go along with that, since I think the main point was just so that the captor doesn't get to keep a silver dog or its pelt.

Oh right.

While a disintegration sticks to the original I don't mind if it teleports away instead.

Hmm...

How about it teleports away, but if its teleportation ability is blocked it disintegrates?

e.g.:

Silver Dog's Boon or Bane (Su): Capturing a silver dog is a risky proposition. A true neutral character that captures a silver dog and has no intent to harm the silver dog will be granted a wish (as the spell) and gains experience points as if it had defeated the creature. Once the wish is granted the dog teleports away to its home (as if it had cast the refuge spell on itself).

If a non-neutral character, or one who wishes to harm the silver dog captures the creature, the character takes 2d4 negative levels and the silver dog teleports home. These negative levels never cause actual level loss, but they persist until the character receives a break enchantment or similar spell. This same bane applies to any character who kills a silver dog. Should the silver dog be prevented from teleporting away from a non-neutral or harmful captor by a dimensional anchor or the like, it immediately disintegrates.

Cleon

Legend
That works for me. :)

Skills and feats next?

Listen, Spot, Survival seem pretty obvious.

Hide and Move Silently to Evade pursuit.

Knowledge (Nature) for the remaining maxed-out skill?

Skills: Hide, Knowledge (Nature), Listen, Move Silently, Spot, Survival

Combat Expertise seems a good pick, since it helps it avoid attacks. Improved Trip to go with it?

Come to think of it, how about giving it the Trip SA like a wolf.

Dodge and Mobility?

Run?

Track as a bonus feat?

Feats: Dodge, Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, Mobility, Run, Track (B)

That still leaves two more. Maybe something offensive/defensive?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Endurance, probably, to go with Run. Perhaps Imp Init to get ahead of pursuers.

As for Imp Trip the feat vs the Trip SA, I think we need to stick with the feat, since they don't have any natural attacks.

Cleon

Legend
Endurance, probably, to go with Run. Perhaps Imp Init to get ahead of pursuers.

As for Imp Trip the feat vs the Trip SA, I think we need to stick with the feat, since they don't have any natural attacks.

Sounds fair to me, so we've got the following:

Feats: Dodge, Combat Expertise, Endurance, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Mobility, Run, Track (B)

Do the proposed skills suit you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads