• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Greyhawk monsters

Cleon

Legend
Refresh me on the reason?

The Aura of Palpable Terror was the original version of Nightmare Projection, we changed the name as we modified it.

If the Projection's the latest version of the Aura, we should have cut out the Aura when we changed the name.

Still, I like the idea of splitting it into two powers, with the Aura becoming a defensive power and the Projection becoming the offensive power.

As such, maybe the Aura's "palpable fear" that repels an attacker from approaching the Darksider. It could work something like a sanctuary spell, but with a save per round to resist being driven away by the Force of Fear? It's palpable, so should feel real - maybe it's some kind of Shadow Conjuration (Fear) effect?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I think Cleon's right. How did we manage to double that up? I thought the Nightmare Projection was just supposed to be the "make you kill your friends" bit. But I think the split to offensive and defensive powers might work better anyway.

freyar

Just revise the first one, right?

Aura of Palpable Terror (Su): A darksider exudes a 20-foot-radius shadowy fear aura as a free action. A creature in the area must succeed on a DC 19 Will save or be affected as though by a fear spell (caster level xth).

A creature that remains in the area and attempts to attack the darksider must make an additional DC 19 Will save to disbelieve shadowy double images of the darksider or those shadows absorb 50% of the damage done to the darksider. In the event of successful disbelief, the shadows absorb only 20% of the damage. A creature that successfully disbelieves cannot be affected again by the same darksider's fear aura for 24 hours, although the shadows still offer the darksider some protection.

Cleon

Legend
Just revise the first one, right?

Aura of Palpable Terror (Su): A darksider exudes a 20-foot-radius shadowy fear aura as a free action. A creature in the area must succeed on a DC 19 Will save or be affected as though by a fear spell (caster level xth).

A creature that remains in the area and attempts to attack the darksider must make an additional DC 19 Will save to disbelieve shadowy double images of the darksider or those shadows absorb 50% of the damage done to the darksider. In the event of successful disbelief, the shadows absorb only 20% of the damage. A creature that successfully disbelieves cannot be affected again by the same darksider's fear aura for 24 hours, although the shadows still offer the darksider some protection.

I was thinking something more like.

Aura of Palpable Terror (Su): A darksider exudes a 60-foot-radius fear aura as a free action. Any creature that enters the area will see horrifying apparitions blocking their way. The creature must succeed on a DC 19 Will save or flee in panic for X rounds. Even if they save, whenever the creature makes an attack or casts a spell at the darksider they must succeed at a DC 19 Will save, or they target one of the apparitions instead. The apparitions appear real, like monsters created by a shadow conjuration spell, but do no damage and can not be harmed. A creature will see these apparitions for as long as they remain within the aura of palpable terror, plus X rounds after leaving the aura (a creature who moves outside the aura must continue to make Will saves to attack the darksider as long as they can see the apparitions). A true seeing effect will reveal the falsity of the apparitions and the true position of the darksider.

This is a mind-affecting fear effect.

freyar

If they're shadow effects, shouldn't the defensive images take damage? I agree, I'm not satisfied entirely with what either of us put down.

Cleon

Legend
If they're shadow effects, shouldn't the defensive images take damage? I agree, I'm not satisfied entirely with what either of us put down.

I'm thinking they probably can take damage, but the darksider can reconstitute them as a free action so it makes no difference.

freyar

I'm thinking they probably can take damage, but the darksider can reconstitute them as a free action so it makes no difference.
It just doesn't feel shadowy the way you have it written, though. Feels more like an abjuration, to be honest. I'd like to make use of the "palpableness" of the shadows. Anyone have more ideas?

Shade

Monster Junkie
It just doesn't feel shadowy the way you have it written, though. Feels more like an abjuration, to be honest. I'd like to make use of the "palpableness" of the shadows. Anyone have more ideas?

Maybe borrow some of that "quasi-real" business of shadow conjuration/evocation?

Remove ads