• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Greyhawk monsters

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Yeah, I was aiming for that with the images and damage. I'm open to other suggestions, but I'm not sure I like the sanctuary-based approach, at least if we're making them shadow illusions.

Cleon

Legend
Yeah, I was aiming for that with the images and damage. I'm open to other suggestions, but I'm not sure I like the sanctuary-based approach, at least if we're making them shadow illusions.

Well we're making up the power from whole cloth in any event, since the original monster didn't have a "Palpable Fear Aura".

So, we can do whatever we like with the power - rewrite it to all-illusion, change it to shadowy damage-absorption, drop it all together, or do something completely different!

freyar

I'm fine with switching or doing whatever we like, but I thought we wanted something "palpable." ;) If you want to go with sanctuary, can we change if from being shadows to something else?

Cleon

Legend
I'm fine with switching or doing whatever we like, but I thought we wanted something "palpable." ;) If you want to go with sanctuary, can we change if from being shadows to something else?

Sure, what do you fancy, some kind of "Aura of Horrifying Invulnerability"?

freyar

How about this, then?

Aura of Forbidding Terror (Su): A darksider constantly exudes a 60-foot-radius fear aura. Any creature that enters the area must succeed on a DC 19 Will save or flee in panic for X rounds. Even if they save, the creature must succeed at a DC 19 Will save in order to make an attack or cast a spell at the darksider.

This is a mind-affecting fear effect. The aura can be dispelled, but the darksider can create it again as a free action on its next turn.

I dropped the illusion bits but kept the sanctuary part. The dispelling/reforming bit comes from angels' protective aura, but I wonder if a "swift action" is better than "a free action on its next turn." After all, swift actions weren't around when the angels were designed.

Last edited:

freyar

Duration of panic? And what do you think about the swift vs free action?

Also: I'm fixing a grammar typo in the ability.

freyar

Aura of Forbidding Terror (Su): A darksider constantly exudes a 60-foot-radius fear aura. Any creature that enters the area must succeed on a DC 19 Will save or flee in panic for 1d4+1 rounds. Even if they save, the creature must succeed at a DC 19 Will save in order to make an attack or cast a spell at the darksider.

This is a mind-affecting fear effect. The aura can be dispelled, but the darksider can create it again as a swift action.

Remove ads