• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Maztica and Horde monsters

Shade

Monster Junkie
Speed: Most colossal dragons have clumsy maneuverability.

Attack: I'd go with bite.

Saves: You are correct at base +20 for all.

I like the extended reach for bite.

Since she works like a predator, I'd focus on the following skills: Balance, Climb, Hide, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, Spot, and Survival. Since she lived with a prince, Knowledge (nobility and royalty) seems appropriate. I could also see her with Tumble (since she's "descended" from cats), Knowledge Nature, and Sense Motive.

For feats, I like Track, Run, Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, Awesome Blow, Flyby Attack, Hover, Snatch, Improved Critical (bite and/or claw), Dire Charge, and Legendary Tracker.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
For skills then, how about:
Balance, Climb, Concentration, Hide, Jump, Intimidate, Knowledge (nature), Knowledge (nobility and royalty), Knowledge (religion), Listen, Move Silently, Search, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Spot, Survival, Tumble

Religion is due to her background like nobility would be.

For feats (13 right?), I would go with:
Awesome Blow, Dire Charge, Flyby Attack, Hover, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Critical (bite), Legendary Tracker, Power Attack, Run, Snatch, Stealthy, Track, Weapon Focus (bite)

And to get this out of the way, do you think we need more on this? Does it look sound enough as-is?

“Astral Form” (Su?): Gaumahavi can use astral projection on herself only, as a standard action. She leaves behind a small portion of herself, consisting of a form of purple dust, on the Material plane. This form functions as the gaseous form spell, and allows her to see and hear anything that goes on around her. She can guide this form to any location on the Material plane, using her winds. She can reenter the Material plane wherever her dust form exists.

She can polymorph into any predatory animal or assume astral -form at will. When in astral form, a shadow of her body, in the form of purple dust, remains on the Prime Material Plane. This form can only be struck by +3 or better magical weapons. By dissolving one dust body and forming another in a different part of the world, she is able to move over great distances instantaneously.

Ecology: In astral form, Gaumahavi draws her sustenance from the mystic energies of Toril. However, in normal corporeal form, she is a voracious carnivore.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
how about (spending 546 ranks):
Balance +37, Climb +26, Concentration +31, Hide +36, Jump +26, Intimidate +31, Knowledge (nature) +31, Knowledge (nobility and royalty) +29, Knowledge (religion) +31, Listen +36, Move Silently +36, Search +29, Sense Motive +29, Spellcraft +29, Spot +36, Survival +37, Tumble +36
(Ability mods: Str +18, Dex +0, Con +11, Int, Wis, Cha: +8)
(plus Stealthy feat, though –8 for Hide; +4 to Jump, and synergy bonuses)

Shade

Monster Junkie
That sounds about right. You might also want to add (+39 following tracks) after the Survival modifier. This seems to be a standard now for the Search synergy bonus.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Right. I hadn’t added synergy yet – here’s how it looks once all the modifiers go in:
Balance +39, Climb +44, Concentration +42, Diplomacy +12, Hide +30, Jump +50, Intimidate +39, Knowledge (nature) +41, Knowledge (nobility and royalty) +37, Knowledge (religion) +39, Listen +44, Move Silently +38, Search +37, Sense Motive +37, Spellcraft +37, Spot +44, Survival +45 (+47 following tracks), Tumble +38

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Good deal. :)

Now, we need to set her CR (and I guess SR can be based off of that as well). I’m thinking it should be over 30… working with the linnorms, I see the 28 HD corpse tearer has CR 28.

Weight – want to take a guess? Do we have enough to compare to? She’s almost twice as long as the Tarrasque, which is 130 tons, and she’s longer than the tallest of the titans, and we have Crius as the heaviest at 800,000 pounds (400 tons).

Language suggestions?

Remove ads