• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Maztica and Horde monsters

Shade

Monster Junkie
Some comparable creatures for CR estimation:
Ancient Red or Silver Dragon (34 HD) - CR 23
Wyrm Red or Silver Dragon (37 HD) - CR 24
Mountain Landwyrm (40 HD) - CR 22
Swamp Landwyrm (36 HD) - CR 20

She seems less deadly than a wyrm red or silver dragon (20d10 breath weapon damage seems more powerful to me than choking, and her other abilities, while powerful, don't match the abilities of a 17th-level spellcaster). However, she could beat the stuffing out a mountain landwyrm, so I'd place her at CR 23.

I say double the weight of the tarrasque. She has a body shape more similar to it than to the titans.

Suggested languages: Common, Draconic, Auran, Terran.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Aww, only 23… well, she isn’t the biggest or the baddest, but definitely one of the uniquest. ;) CR 23 will do, I suppose. Would 24 be too much?

I’ll say 250 tons, since she is not quite twice the size of the Tarrasque. ;)

Shade said:
Common, Draconic, Auran, Terran

I’m not even entirely sure that she should speak Draconic. ;) I mean, I guess it does make sense on the one hand, but on the other hand she is more of a dragon in form than at heart…
Maybe add Celestial to that list?

Caster level for spell-likes? 20?

Did I mention adding these bonuses to her skills? Because if I didn’t mention in, then I don’t think I did:
Gaumahavi has a +8 racial bonus on Jump checks and a +4 racial bonus on Hide and Move Silently checks. She has a +8 racial bonus on Balance and Climb checks. Gaumahavi can always choose to take 10 on a Climb check, even if rushed or threatened.

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
Aww, only 23… well, she isn’t the biggest or the baddest, but definitely one of the uniquest. ;) CR 23 will do, I suppose. Would 24 be too much?
Check out a red or silver wyrm and decide for yourself. ;)

BOZ said:
I’ll say 250 tons, since she is not quite twice the size of the Tarrasque. ;)
Excellent.

BOZ said:
I’m not even entirely sure that she should speak Draconic. ;) I mean, I guess it does make sense on the one hand, but on the other hand she is more of a dragon in form than at heart…
Maybe add Celestial to that list?
I see where you're coming from, but I'd still keep Draconic. Celestial is fine, too, although she is Neutral so probably doesn't favor talking to goodie-goodies over nasty-baddies.

BOZ said:
Caster level for spell-likes? 20?
Sounds good.

BOZ said:
Did I mention adding these bonuses to her skills? Because if I didn’t mention in, then I don’t think I did:
Gaumahavi has a +8 racial bonus on Jump checks and a +4 racial bonus on Hide and Move Silently checks. She has a +8 racial bonus on Balance and Climb checks. Gaumahavi can always choose to take 10 on a Climb check, even if rushed or threatened.
I don't think you did.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Shade said:
I see where you're coming from, but I'd still keep Draconic. Celestial is fine, too, although she is Neutral so probably doesn't favor talking to goodie-goodies over nasty-baddies.

I disagree. Many neutrals (though not all) are likely to prefer talking to goodies rather than baddies, as goodies are less likely to betray or attack unprovoked. :) however, I was mostly suggesting Celestial as an idea because of her unusual nature – I figured she could use some heavenly guidance. ;)

How are these DC’s?
Spell-Like Abilities: At will - color spray (DC 19), speak with animals, telekinesis (DC 23), whispering wind; 1/day - animal growth (DC 23), blink, control weather, deeper darkness, dimension door (DC 22), giant vermin, hold animal (DC 20), locate creature, project image (DC 25), rainbow pattern (DC 22), repel vermin, reverse gravity (DC 25), summon swarm, teleport (DC 23), vanish (DC X – do we still have this spell?), wind wall. Caster level 20th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Point taken. :) Celestial works for me.

Vanish is still around. It's Sor/Wiz 7, so DC 25. I don't see anything wrong with the others.

Shade

Monster Junkie
We may have discussed this earlier, but I can't find it. Since she's a Colossal dragon, shouldn't she have tail slap, tail sweep, and a crush attack?

What was the formula Krishnath mentioned about determining dragon's SR?

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Tail slap, maybe. Wings, no – she has none. ;) I just gave her the same attack routine she had before, but I can always add a tail slap, tail sweep, and crush to make her feel more “current.”

As far as figuring out SR, I have no idea.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Yeah, no wings would make wing buffets difficult. ;)

I'd give her the tail and crush attacks.

The SR formula appears to be 6 + CR. I checked a few dragons, and this seems to hold up. I know Krishnath posted a formula in one of these threads, but I can't find it now.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
then i'll give her SR 29 unless someone pipes up with a better idea. ;)

ok, updating... take a nice long look at all the values, since there is a lot, just to make sure we have it right. :) i think she's mostly done...

does crush do 4d8+Str bonus or 4d8+Str bonus x 50%? and how about tail sweep?

Remove ads