Converting Maztica and Horde monsters

Shade

Monster Junkie
How about this? I shaved 6 points of Wis and put them in Int, and swapped the Dex and Str as suggested.

Str 20, Dex 28, Con 20, Int 29, Wis 19, Cha 25

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Shade said:
How about this? I shaved 6 points of Wis and put them in Int, and swapped the Dex and Str as suggested.

Str 20, Dex 28, Con 20, Int 29, Wis 19, Cha 25

That looks pretty good.

Why don't we just say that Monkey gets Flurry of Blows as a 9th level (or 20th, if there's a difference) monk and give him a sword-like monk weapon? That might make more sense than changing it to fit a standard (western) longsword or whatever.

dhaga

First Post
freyar said:
Why don't we just say that Monkey gets Flurry of Blows as a 9th level (or 20th, if there's a difference) monk and give him a sword-like monk weapon? That might make more sense than changing it to fit a standard (western) longsword or whatever.

I think this is a good idea. He could pick from any of the non-bludgeoning monk weapons. Could cut someone up pretty bad with a ,

I mean, a kama ;)

Shade

Monster Junkie
Added to Homebrews.

As far as using swords w/flurry of blows, there's plenty of precedents for non-traditional monk weapons. For example:

Pole Fighter [Fighter, General]
Benefit: Choose a pole arm (see the Complete Pole Arm chart in Dragon #331). You can treat that weapon as a special monk weapon, allowing you to perform a flurry of blows with it.
Source: Dragon #331, page 28, and Dragon Compendium Volume One, p. 105.

freyar

Shade said:
Added to Homebrews.

As far as using swords w/flurry of blows, there's plenty of precedents for non-traditional monk weapons. For example:

Pole Fighter [Fighter, General]
Benefit: Choose a pole arm (see the Complete Pole Arm chart in Dragon #331). You can treat that weapon as a special monk weapon, allowing you to perform a flurry of blows with it.
Source: Dragon #331, page 28, and Dragon Compendium Volume One, p. 105.

True, though I'm thinking partly of flavor, too.

freyar

Sounds good to me. Then we can give him a feat or something to do flurry of blows with it. There's probably even an OGC feat lying around in a netbook or something. ;)

Shade

Monster Junkie
We don't even need to make him burn a feat on it:

Flurry of Blades (Ex): Monkey has mastered a fighting style combining various martial arts. Monkey may make a greater flurry of blows as an 11th-level monk, granting him two extra attacks at his full base attack bonus when making a full attack. He may treat a katana or wakizashi as a special monk weapon, allowing him to perform a flurry of blows with it. When using weapons as part of a flurry of blades, Monkey applies his Strength bonus (not Str bonus x 1-1/2 or x 1/2) to his damage rolls for all successful attacks, whether he wields a weapon in one or both hands.

dhaga

First Post
Shade said:
We don't even need to make him burn a feat on it:

Flurry of Blades (Ex): Monkey has mastered a fighting style combining various martial arts. Monkey may make a greater flurry of blows as an 11th-level monk, granting him two extra attacks at his full base attack bonus when making a full attack. He may treat a katana or wakizashi as a special monk weapon, allowing him to perform a flurry of blows with it. When using weapons as part of a flurry of blades, Monkey applies his Strength bonus (not Str bonus x 1-1/2 or x 1/2) to his damage rolls for all successful attacks, whether he wields a weapon in one or both hands.

Awesome :)

Remove ads