Converting Maztica and Horde monsters

Shade

Monster Junkie
Horde CS said:
Monkey can take many different forms, but generally restricts himself to a human appearance or his natural form. This is of a human with a monkey's face, dressed in robes finer than those of the greatest Shou mandarin. He has impeccable manners. (Although by the standards of the Celestial Court he is crude and profane.)

Alternate Form/Change Shape?

Horde CS said:
When he does choose battle, he will either fight to kill (against evil opponents) or fight to embarrass and humiliate his enemy. In physical combat, he can make five attacks in a single round, striking with his sword at blinding speed.

Flurry of blows usable with a sword?

Horde CS said:
He can only be hit by +3 weapons or better and regenerates at the rate of 5 hit points per round.

DR /epic and fast healing as you guys described above.

Horde CS said:
Even more formidable, though, are his magical powers. Monkey has the innate ability to cast almost any magical spell. The only ones denied him are wishes, those that summon creatures from other planes, and those involving planar travel. Beyond these restrictions he can use any other spell he desires simply by thinking about it. He needs no components, gestures, or the like.

Dhaga's master of magic ability is one way to do this.

Another is to grant him sorcerer spellcasting, stating that any spell is known. Of course, we'd then have to account for the components being unnecessary...

Horde CS said:
Given this power, he is virtually unbeatable in combat. Although he functions as if he had 20 hit dice, Monkey cannot truly be killed, this being one of the conditions of his banishment. If his physical form is destroyed, he is reborn, hale and well, with the next dawn.

Covered by rejuvenation, above.

Horde CS said:
Monkey's treasure is not one that can be carried away. Although he has many magical items and great wealth, he does not consider these important. Knowledge and information are true treasures. As a reward for services, Monkey typically answers one to three questions. These can be about anything on Toril, for nothing except the doings of his fellow celestial powers is hidden from him.

How's this for a start?

Omniscient (Su): Monkey automatically succeeds on any Knowledge check except those involving the direct intervention of beings of divine rank 0 or higher.

dhaga

First Post
Shade said:
Alternate Form/Change Shape?
I'd say Shapechange, as we did for the manggus.

Flurry of blows usable with a sword?
That sounds like fun (though not for the opponent).
"Sword Rain"?
"Flurry of slices"? (ok, that one sounds pretty silly)
"Covered with cuts"? (getting worse; I'd better stop)

Another is to grant him sorcerer spellcasting, stating that any spell is known. Of course, we'd then have to account for the components being unnecessary...
And also that certain spells are restricted. We can go either way; what do others think?

Omniscient (Su): Monkey automatically succeeds on any Knowledge check except those involving the direct intervention of beings of divine rank 0 or higher.
I like that.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Shade said:

I like all your suggestions, Shade, esp Omniscience. :D

I'd give sorceror spellcasting with all spells (except those specifically listed) known. Then we can give him eschew materials, still spell, and silent spell as feats, maybe eliminating the increase in casting time for the metamagic feats. And make his CL really high... :cool:

Shade

Monster Junkie
Before we can proceed much further, we'll need to pick Hit Dice for this fella. Do we want to stick with 20, as hinted at in the text?

dhaga

First Post
freyar said:
I like all your suggestions, Shade, esp Omniscience. :D

I'd give sorceror spellcasting with all spells (except those specifically listed) known. Then we can give him eschew materials, still spell, and silent spell as feats, maybe eliminating the increase in casting time for the metamagic feats. And make his CL really high... :cool:

Eschew materials only accounts for material components that cost 1 gp or less. We can easily give him a similarly-named ability, however, that allows him to ignore ALL material component requirements for all spells.

I am also fond of Omniscience :)

freyar

dhaga said:
Eschew materials only accounts for material components that cost 1 gp or less. We can easily give him a similarly-named ability, however, that allows him to ignore ALL material component requirements for all spells.

Good point, maybe we should just go with a special ability.

20HD is good.

Shade

Monster Junkie
For ability scores, we could use the solar's as a starting point and shift points here and there to get a good feel.

Str 28, Dex 20, Con 20, Int 23, Wis 25, Cha 25

freyar

Shade said:
For ability scores, we could use the solar's as a starting point and shift points here and there to get a good feel.

Str 28, Dex 20, Con 20, Int 23, Wis 25, Cha 25

Good suggestion. I'd maybe swap Str and Dex (he seems more like a finesse sort of guy to me). Also, since he's supposed to lack common sense (well, in comparison), we should probably drop Wis to 19-21. What do you think?

dhaga

First Post
freyar said:
Good suggestion. I'd maybe swap Str and Dex (he seems more like a finesse sort of guy to me). Also, since he's supposed to lack common sense (well, in comparison), we should probably drop Wis to 19-21. What do you think?

I agree with higher Dex, lower Str. Wis 19 or 20 would be sufficient, I'd think :) Let's keep that towering Int score, maybe even bump it to 25?

Remove ads