Converting monsters from Dragon magazine

Cleon

Legend
Very little is known about a nibish-riule's true nature, not even what plane they call home. A popular theory is that they are distant relatives to ihagnim, the Astral creatures that form bags of devouring. The most paranoid savants rave that nibish-riule are more puissant and malevolent than ihagnim and worry-warts are spies and scouts for a transdimensional invasion, but this seems entirely contrary to their observed behavior.

And yes, I do fancy doing a conversion of the Ihagnim on this thread.

Cleon

Legend
And yes, I do fancy doing a conversion of the Ihagnim on this thread.

Oh, and before anyone mentions it I'm aware there's another take on the "Bag of Devouring Monster", the eponymous Devourer from Dragon #271, but that one's a lot less interesting as it can only attack through its bags of devouring.

Cleon

Legend
Oh, and before anyone mentions it I'm aware there's another take on the "Bag of Devouring Monster", the eponymous Devourer from Dragon #271, but that one's a lot less interesting as it can only attack through its bags of devouring.

Heck, we could mention the devourer in the fluff as well…

Cleon

Legend
Heck, we could mention the devourer in the fluff as well…

Very little is known about a nibish-riule's true nature, not even what plane they call home. A popular theory is they are distant relatives of the transdimensional predators who form bags of devouring, such as the ihagnim and the devourer. One paranoid savant has raved that nibish-riule are more puissant and malevolent than ihagnim and dispatch worry-warts as spies and scouts for a world-devouring invasion, but this seems entirely contrary to their observed behavior.

Upon reflection that's too confusing as there's the SRD monster called a Devourer. It even predates the bag of devouring version (Dragon #271 is May 2000, the standard Devourer debuted in the Planescape Monstrous Compendium Appendix III of May 1998).

Better either cut "and the devourer" out from "such as the ihagnim and the devourer" or change it to "such as the ihagnim and the sessile marine creature called a devourer (not the undead with that name)."

I'll re-edit the EDIT.

EDIT:
Re-edited the "More about nibish-riule" proposal, but decided that "(not the undead monster)" read better.

Last edited:

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I'm ambivalent about the sessile marine creature (that is also transdimensional?), so you can take you pick on the nibish-riule flavor. But I generally like it!

And now I think that will do it for these!

Cleon

Legend
How about the lich blood?

The Lich's Blood has already been converted.

There are three monsters in Dragon #238's "The Dragon's Bestiary - Spawn of the Sewers" that aren't in the CC yet, namely the Albino Crocodile, Plague Moth and Water Cat.

How about we put it to a vote?

I favour the Ihagnim from Dragon #89 or the Dark Dweller from Dragon #55, but don't mind which of those we do.

Remove ads