Converting monsters from Imagine Magazine

Shade

Monster Junkie
freyar said:
Yeah, I forgot about the immunity from fear. But not all corporeal undead are mindless. From the SRD, ghouls, ghasts, vampire spawn, vampires, and liches all spring to mind (though admittedly the last two don't seem like good candidates for being canopic).

Actually, per the undead type:

Immunity to all mind-affecting spells and abilities (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).

And...

All fear attacks are mind-affecting fear effects.

It takes a bit of digging, but even non-mindless undead have built-in immunity to fear. ;)

freyar said:
What CR do we think this should have?

Good question. Let's see how it looks after we develop it a bit more (unless we end up needing the CR to further the development). :)

Mortis said:
Sorry, I could have made that clearer.

What I meant was that you start with an intelligent undead - the removal of the brain (and heart) would then make it non-intelligent.

i.e. You can't remove the brain from a skeleton (for example) because it doesn't have one ;)

Ahh, I see now. But isn't the corporeal undead created as part of the removal of parts from a (not-yet-undead) corpse? Thus, the zombie or skeleton template isn't technically applied separately...the canopic shade template essentially includes the other undead template used, right?

Mortis

First Post
Shade said:
Ahh, I see now. But isn't the corporeal undead created as part of the removal of parts from a (not-yet-undead) corpse? Thus, the zombie or skeleton template isn't technically applied separately...the canopic shade template essentially includes the other undead template used, right?
I suppose it depends on what the canopic shade template is applied to. Do you apply it to an existing corporeal undead, or to the corpse of a dead humanoid (for example).

Then again, maybe I'm just over complicating things ;)

Regards
Mortis

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Mortis said:
I suppose it depends on what the canopic shade template is applied to. Do you apply it to an existing corporeal undead, or to the corpse of a dead humanoid (for example).

Then again, maybe I'm just over complicating things ;)

I'd say over-complicating. Let's say it can be applied to any corporeal undead as an "inherited" template, meaning that it's applied at creation of the creature. That way skeletons make sense, but you can't have a vampire suddenly become canopic, say. In practice, the "corpse" part should just be a template that can be applied to any corporeal undead.

In any case, this is looking good to me.

Mortis

First Post
freyar said:
I'd say over-complicating. Let's say it can be applied to any corporeal undead as an "inherited" template, meaning that it's applied at creation of the creature. That way skeletons make sense, but you can't have a vampire suddenly become canopic, say. In practice, the "corpse" part should just be a template that can be applied to any corporeal undead.
Yeah that's when it should happen. :)

Regards
Mortis

Shade

Monster Junkie
A canopic shade is actually three separate creatures: a corporeal undead known as a canopic corpse, and two incorporeal undead canopic shades, one known as "the heart" and the other known as "the brain".

Creating a Canopic Corpse

“Canopic corpse” is an inherited template that can be added to any corporeal undead (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

A canopic corpse has all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Turn Resistance (Ex): A canopic corpse has +3 turn resistance. If the base creature already possesses turn resistance, it gains a +3 enhancement bonus to its existing turn resistance.

Canopic Shade
X Undead (Incorporeal)
Hit Dice: xd12 (x hp)
Initiative: +x
Speed: Fly X ft. (X squares) (perfect)
Armor Class: x (+x Dex, +x natural ,+x deflection), touch x, flat-footed x
Base Attack/Grapple: +x/+x
Attack: Claw +x melee (x+x)
Full Attack: 2 claws +x melee (x+x)
Space/Reach: x ft./x ft.
Special Attacks: Essence drain, malevolence
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., incorporeal traits, undead traits
Saves: Fort +x, Ref +x, Will +x
Abilities: Str x, Dex x, Con x, Int x, Wis x, Cha x
Skills: X
Feats: X
Environment: X
Organization: X
Challenge Rating: X
Treasure: X
Alignment: X
Advancement: X
Level Adjustment: -

Malevolence (Su): Once per round, a canopic shade can merge its body with a creature on the Material Plane. This ability is similar to a magic jar spell (caster level Xth), except that it uses the canopic jar as a receptacle. To use this ability, the canopic shade must try to move into the target’s space; moving into the target’s space to use the malevolence ability does not provoke attacks of opportunity. The target can resist the attack with a successful DC X Will save (for the brain) or DC X Fortitude save (for the heart). A creature that successfully saves is immune to that same canopic shade's malevolence for 24 hours, and the canopic shade cannot enter the target’s space. If the save fails, the canopic shade vanishes into the target’s body.

"Essence Drain (Su): Once a canopic shade has successfully used its malevolence ability and merged with a victim, it begins to drain the victim's essence. Each round, the victim must succeed on a DC X Will save (for the brain) or DC X Fortitude save (for the heart). Failure indicates that the victim suffers 1 point of ability drain (Charisma for the heart, Consititution for the body). A victim reduced to Cha or Con 0 in this manner dies, and the canopic shade is immediately destroyed as well.

Each round that a victim succeeds on its saving throw, the canopic shade suffers 1 point of damage. If a canopic shade is destroyed while merged with a victim, a tiny spark of stolen essence bursts forth, granting the victim 1d4 temporary points of Charisma (for the brain) or Constitution (for the heart). These temporary ability scores last for 24 hours.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Looking pretty good. For the canopic corpse, I'd add that you get Int -. Should the only attacks for the shades be the malevolence?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Mortis said:
Would it be easier to work on each of the three creatures seperately?

I dunno. They seem awfully tied together.

freyar said:
Looking pretty good. For the canopic corpse, I'd add that you get Int -. Should the only attacks for the shades be the malevolence?

Good point on the mindless Int -. Yeah, shades should lack other attacks. I'll start this up in Homebrews and add those modifications.

Remove ads