• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Converting monsters from Mayfair Games Role Aids product line

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I'd just give it Alertness if you want the skill bonus. But, yes, you got my reasoning for Precise Shot exactly.

Nookie, what do you think about the laser bonus? Circumstance or racial?

Cleon

Legend
I'd just give it Alertness if you want the skill bonus. But, yes, you got my reasoning for Precise Shot exactly.

A racial bonus would allow us to set a number different from +2. It depends how observant we want them to be.

If we want them to have more than their current +9 Listen & Spot [includes Alertness] we'll have to go racial of give them bonus Skill Focus.

Still, +9 is fine as far as I'm concerned, considering their likely Challenge Rating.

I suppose we could give them Sense Motive too, to help resist intruders trying to Bluff their way past, but I don't think they need it - and it's questionable whether Bluff would even work on them.

Nookie, what do you think about the laser bonus? Circumstance or racial?

I'm leaning towards racial now, but let's wait for Nookie.

freyar

Working draft.

I think Sense Motive is kind of rendered inoperative/irrelevant by the Vulnerability to Logic part of Droid Traits.

[MENTION=83645]Nookie[/MENTION], any thoughts?

freyar

I did. ;)

Environment could be "Any land or underground" I'd think.
Patrol (2-8)?
Alignment seems right.
Any thoughts on advancement?

Cleon

Legend

Somehow I knew it was all your fault. :)

Environment could be "Any land or underground" I'd think.

Yup, that seems the best fit.

Patrol (2-8)?

The original encounter is with ten of them, implying a larger range.

How about Solitary, patrol (2-4) or watch (5-20)?

Alignment seems right.

Well they could be always Lawful Neutral, I suppose, but I prefer always Neutral for 'em at the moment.

Any thoughts on advancement?

Hmm...

On the one hand they might not have any advancement - perhaps they all start out as identical droids rolling out of a factory somewhere.

On the other hand, if they advance a couple of size categories you've essentially got a Laser Security Tank, the lack of which would make D&D poorer.

So, 5-7 HD (Medium); 8-15 HD (Large); 16-32 HD (Huge)?

freyar

Your proposed org works for me.

I could go with that advancement, but it does kind of rob us of making whole new laser tank critters ourselves. :p

Cleon

Legend
Your proposed org works for me.

Updating the Guardian Droid Working Draft.

I could go with that advancement, but it does kind of rob us of making whole new laser tank critters ourselves. :p

No, we just make multiple new laser tank critters and have them battle in the Arena for our amusement.

Anyhow, do we have any similar critters to use as a model for Advancement?

I suppose Clockwork Horrors are not a million miles away. Those have Advancement "—" in their official Monster Manual II, while the encrypted Creature Catalog conversion has ×3 HD Advancement with no size change.

Of those two I favour the "—". We could split the difference and go for 5-8 HD (Medium) I suppose, but I'd prefer no advancement to that.

Remove ads