Converting monsters from Second Edition Monstrous Compendiums

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
Advancement: 4

It's got: Natural armor, mutliple attacks, reach, very good stats bonus, mutatations, nice lil abilities.

ECL: 7

8th level fighter vs this would be hard pressed to choose a favorite. I'd even go so far to make it a 3.

Environment: Subteranean
Treasure: standard

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Shade said:
Updated.

How about changing this...

"A troll mutate with more than 2 mutations has CR X."

...to this...

"For every two additional mutations, increase the CR of the troll mutate by 1."
Yes, that's what I was trying to say. :)

Here's how she looks without any ability score changes. I'd recommend increasing all the mental ability scores, though.

Troll Mutate Monarch
Large Aberration
Hit Dice: 6d8+24 (51 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 16 (–1 size, +2 Dex, +5 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+12
Attack: Claw +7 melee (1d4+4)
Full Attack: 2 claws +7 melee (1d4+4) and 2 bites +5 melee (1d8+2) and tail +5 melee (1d6+6 plus stun)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Mutations, psionics, rend 2d4+6, severed limb attack, stun
Special Qualities: Darkvision 90 ft., impeded fortification, low-light vision, mutations, regeneration 5, scent
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +4, Will +4
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 14, Con 19, Int 5, Wis 9, Cha 6
Skills: 9
Feats: Alertness, Multiattack, 1 more
Environment: Any mountains and underground
Organization: Solitary, gang (2–4), or tribe (4-24 plus one matriarch)
Challenge Rating: x
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually chaotic evil
Advancement: x
Level Adjustment: +5

Probably should make her a wilder or something and bump Cha quite a bit. I'm fine with leaving Int low, though.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Don't make her a wilder, necessarily. I think she should have psi-like abilities, rather than full on levels in a psionic class. And I agree that her Charisma needs to be through the roof for that. It sounds like from the write-up that mind thrust, or something like it, is her primary psychic attack, but we should give her some other low-level offensive powers (ego whip? prevenom? deja vu?) and some level of self-buffs (catfall? inertial armor? defensive precognition?)

Her last feat should be a psionic one, like Psionic Fist.

Demiurge out.

Last edited:

freyar

demiurge1138 said:
Don't make her a wilder, necessarily. I think she should have psi-like abilities, rather than full on levels in a psionic class. And I agree that her Charisma needs to be through the roof for that. It sounds like from the write-up that mind thrust, or something like it, is her primary psychic attack, but we should give her some other low-level offensive powers (ego whip? prevenom? deja vu?) and some level of self-buffs (catfall? inertial armor? defensive precognition?)

Her last feat should be a psionic one, like Psionic Fist.

Demiurge out.
So no power points, then, just Ps abilities? How about 3x/day mind thrust, defensive precognition and 1x/day prevenom, inertial armor?

I agree about Psionic Fist.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Here's what we've got so far. Should I make this a separate entry in the CC, or apend it to the mutate?

Troll Mutate Monarch
Large Aberration
Hit Dice: 6d8+24 (51 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 16 (–1 size, +2 Dex, +5 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+12
Attack: Claw +7 melee (1d4+4)
Full Attack: 2 claws +7 melee (1d4+4) and 2 bites +5 melee (1d8+2) and tail +5 melee (1d6+6 plus stun)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Mutations, psi-like abilities, rend 2d4+6, severed limb attack, stun
Special Qualities: Darkvision 90 ft., impeded fortification, low-light vision, mutations, regeneration 5, scent
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +4, Will +6
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 14, Con 19, Int 5, Wis 13, Cha 16
Skills: 9
Feats: Alertness, Multiattack, Psionic Fist
Environment: Any mountains and underground
Organization: Solitary, gang (2–4), or tribe (4-24 plus one matriarch)
Challenge Rating: x
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually chaotic evil
Advancement: x
Level Adjustment: -

Psi-Like Abilities: 3/day—defensive precognition (+2 insight bonus*), mind thrust (6d10, DC 16*); 1/day—inertial armor (+6 armor bonus*), prevenom (DC 16). Manifester level 6th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

*Includes augmentation for the matriarch's manifester level.

Stun (Ex): A creature struck by the matriarch's tail attack must succeed on a DC 17 Fortitude save or be stunned for 1 round. The save DC is Constitution-based.

freyar

Is she going to be unique, or do we think of matriarchs as a variety of troll mutates, maybe one per tribe? If the latter, I could see going for the separate entry.

Should she get the superior multiweapon fighting for two heads?

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
freyar said:
Is she going to be unique, or do we think of matriarchs as a variety of troll mutates, maybe one per tribe? If the latter, I could see going for the separate entry.

Should she get the superior multiweapon fighting for two heads?

I'm going to shoot for one per tribe so you'd need her as an addition to it so she would need her own subentry of the main one.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I agree. I could easily see multiple tribes.

Added her own entry.

I realized that we need to specify what happens if the same mutation is rolled twice. Some could probably gained multiple times for additional effects, but other benefits would not stack.

freyar

Shade said:
I realized that we need to specify what happens if the same mutation is rolled twice. Some could probably gained multiple times for additional effects, but other benefits would not stack.

Could we leave it to DM's judgement? Or just put in a line: "If a troll mutate has two identical mutations, the benefits may not stack (for example, gaining medium fortification twice provides no extra benefit). The DM may then choose to reroll for a different mutation."

Remove ads