• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting monsters from Second Edition Monstrous Compendiums

Shade

Monster Junkie
Once again compared to standard 2e gargoyle...

AC is one worse.

Land speed is same.

HD 4+5 vs. 4+4, so maybe higher Con.

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
Normal gargoyle stats:
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 14, Con 18, Int 6, Wis 11, Cha 7

New stats:
STR:12
Dex: 16
Con: 20
Int: 6
Wis: 10
Cha: 7

AC: +5 natural armor,+3 dex+10=18

Skills: Hide, move silently, Bluff
Feats: Weapon Focus (Arrow), Point Blank shot

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Based on this
The archer gargoyle is a malicious creation
I think these should actually be constructs, more like the grists than standard gargoyles. Otherwise, the stats sound good to me. I agree with Demiurge about the arrows.

Shade

Monster Junkie
freyar said:
I think these should actually be constructs, more like the grists than standard gargoyles. Otherwise, the stats sound good to me. I agree with Demiurge about the arrows.

I'm beginning to agree. Couple that with the fact that they don't need to eat, drink, or sleep, and it does sound like a construct.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Let's see what the others think.

Also, they require +1 weapons to hit in the "special defenses" line, so maybe DR5/magic?

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Well, to be fair, in 3.5, ordinary gargoyles don't need to eat, drink or breathe, and they're monstrous humanoids. So I could see the argument going either way. Also, no creation information, so that leans me more towards monstrous humanoid. They could be a creation the same way owlbears are.

Demiurge out.

Shade

Monster Junkie
demiurge1138 said:
Well, to be fair, in 3.5, ordinary gargoyles don't need to eat, drink or breathe, and they're monstrous humanoids. So I could see the argument going either way. Also, no creation information, so that leans me more towards monstrous humanoid. They could be a creation the same way owlbears are.

Ahh, nice catch. Let's stick with monstrous humanoids, then.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Added to Homebrews.

It was suggested upthread that the arrows be a force effect. Do we want to go this route, or keep them as stone arrows per the original text?

Shall we give them a climb speed or a decent racial bonus in order to reach the ledges where they often perch?

Remove ads