• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting monsters from Second Edition Monstrous Compendiums

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
The bow is not a true bow, and the arrows are stone, but they allow the archer to make an arrowlike magical attack which hits with a THAC0 of 17 and inflicts 1d10 points of damage. The "arrow" has a range of 120 yards.
I don't think these are really stone arrows, and force sounds like the closest thing to an "arrowlike magical attack" (unless we want some other kind of energy damage). I'd also say make this a regular ranged attack (as opposed to touch) unless we want to say the force burns through armor. Max range of 360 ft, no range increments? Or make it have a range increment like a bow?

I'd say give it a slow climb speed since it doesn't seem to have a fly speed like the normal gargoyle.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I agree to everything freyar's said. Regular attack, force effect, 360 feet, no range increment, climb speed 20ft.

Demiurge out.

Shade

Monster Junkie
How's this?

Stonebow (Su): The archer gargoyle's stonebow is a part of its body, and thus cannot be sundered, disarmed, or otherwise separated from the gargoyle. The stonebow cannot be recovered and used by other creatures upon the gargoyle's death. The stonebow fires arrows of force to a maximum range of 360 feet with no range increments, deals 1d10 points of force damage on a successful hit, threatens a critical on a natural 20, and deals triple damage on a successful critical hit. The stonebow creates its own ammunition and can generate as many arrows per round as the archer gargoyle can make attacks. It counts as a shortbow for purposes of feats and other effects.

Should we allow the archer to apply its Strength bonus to damage?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I like the stonebow. I don't think this should get a Str bonus to damage (could go with Cha, if we want, though). We should also add a line that using the stonebow does not provoke AoOs.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

Skills: 8
Hide, Listen, Spot as usual for gargoyles?

Feats: 2
Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot?

Challenge Rating: 4? (as standard gargoyle)

Advancement: 5–6 HD (Medium); 7–12 HD (Large)? (as standard gargoyle)

Level Adjustment: +5 (as standard gargoyle)

An archer gargoyle stands 4 feet tall and weighs X pounds. (We went with 150 lbs. for the 3-foot-tall spouter)

Remove ads