Converting monsters from Second Edition Monstrous Compendiums

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I can edit Weapon Throwing (and the improved version).

Samples usually pick a gender, and I know intelligent undead maintain the gender they had in life, especially if they keep their normal bodies. But I can remove the gender if you insist.

Cleon

Legend
I can edit Weapon Throwing (and the improved version).

Samples usually pick a gender, and I know intelligent undead maintain the gender they had in life, especially if they keep their normal bodies. But I can remove the gender if you insist.

I'd rather remove it for the sake of consistency.

Cleon

Legend

You forgot to add the sample creature's combat gear:

Equipment: +2 mithral full plate, +1 adamantine dragon bane greatsword, +1 composite longbow (+5 Str), 40 cold iron arrows, 30 silver arrows, 10 adamantine arrows, boots of speed, ring of protection +1, cloak of resistance +1, wand of inflict light wounds, 134 gp

So, all done?

Well personally I'd italicize the spell names in the special abilities - as well as the special ability titles themselves.

The spells in question are:

Anti-Dragon Evocation (Sp):fireball and flame strike.

Bind Wings (Su):feather fall.

Enchant Dragon (Sp):charm person.

Scry Dragon (Sp):detect evil, locate object, detect undead and detect thoughts.

Transmute Dragon (Sp):reduce person.

True Strike (Sp):true strike.

Oh, and I'd rather you had an em-dash in the damage reduction and Con scores than a hyphen, e.g. "DR 5/—" and "Con: —".

But those are just formatting niggles, I think we're done with this critter once you've added the equipment in.

freyar

Equipment is right there under skills in the statblock, at least when I look at it.

How do you put an emdash in vbulletin code, anyway?

Cleon

Legend
Equipment is right there under skills in the statblock, at least when I look at it.

Oh, right, I see the problem.

Equipment goes after a monster's Skills description (if any), not the Skills in the statblock - e.g. it's inserted after the "Skills: An arkelweezil has a +7 racial bonus to Perform (pratfalls) and a +8 racial bonus to Swim." bit.

The sample creature doesn't have a Skills description, so the equipment ought to go after were it would have been - which is right at the end, just before "Originally appeared".

How do you put an emdash in vbulletin code, anyway?

I normally just copy and paste the character, but you could try using the ASCII code for it — it's 0151 in decimal or 0097 in hex.

freyar

Huzzah!!

We can rest the thread unless there's something pressing here for one of our sets of 10. Though, if the CC stays down, the batches don't matter much...

Cleon

Legend
Huzzah!!

We can rest the thread unless there's something pressing here for one of our sets of 10. Though, if the CC stays down, the batches don't matter much...

We've currently only got four sets-of-ten, and they've all got a conversion in the works.

Which reminds me, it's been a while since I updated the conversion lists.

Remove ads