• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting monsters from Second Edition Monstrous Compendiums

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I haven't gone back to correct the use of those feats yet (or added "as a standard action" to weapon throwing). I'll go do that as well as add the possessions. We don't put that in the actual statblock, do we?

Cleon

Legend
I haven't gone back to correct the use of those feats yet (or added "as a standard action" to weapon throwing). I'll go do that as well as add the possessions. We don't put that in the actual statblock, do we?

We normally tag equipment in just after Skills.

freyar

Rather than make Weapon Throwing a standard action, why don't we make it a full attack action, like we did for bind wings? That would keep them from iterative attacks. Plus it makes somewhat more sense for an attack. I'm going to make the updates like that, so we can see how it looks (we can always change to standard action later).

I've put in some tactics also (just to move this along ;) ), so see what you think.

Updated (finished?).

Cleon

Legend
Rather than make Weapon Throwing a standard action, why don't we make it a full attack action, like we did for bind wings? That would keep them from iterative attacks. Plus it makes somewhat more sense for an attack. I'm going to make the updates like that, so we can see how it looks (we can always change to standard action later).

I'd prefer to keep it a standard action. That way they can also take a move action and throw the weapon on the move - which is something people often do in the real world when trying to add range and impact to their hurled objects.

Come to think of it, I'd prefer both Bind Wings and Stifle Breath to be standard actions. We allowed Dazzling Display to be used as a standard action, and that probably involves a lot more twirling of weaponry than Bind Wings and Stifle Breath, which could just be a matter of hitting the dragon once in just the right way.

Actually, I'd consider cutting the "standard action" from Dazzling Display and just leave the "part of a full attack action" bit, then we can make the "Improved Dazzling Display" the one that allows it to be done as a standard action. Also, we might have the Improved version having a reduced attack penalty.

I have a suspicion when we finished Dazzling Display we just copy-and-pasted the text to use as the basis for some of the subsequent special attacks, which is how it got a bit messy.

I've put in some tactics also (just to move this along ;) ), so see what you think.

Updated (finished?).

Well, sample creature for a template don't require a tactic entry, but if you want to add some there's no reason we can't.

The tactics look fine to me, except I'd add something about it using the haste power of its boots of speed.

freyar

What kind of precedents do we have for attacks being standard actions? I initially had some awkward wording, and I can't remember how other abilities phrase it.

Cleon

Legend
What kind of precedents do we have for attacks being standard actions? I initially had some awkward wording, and I can't remember how other abilities phrase it.

Erm, special attacks are standard actions by default surely. It's making them other than standard actions that's unusual.

freyar

Ehh, a normal single attack is a specific type of standard action, so calling it out is a bit unusual. Actually, since all attacks are standard (other than full attacks, which are full-round), why do we need to spell this out?

Cleon

Legend
Ehh, a normal single attack is a specific type of standard action, so calling it out is a bit unusual. Actually, since all attacks are standard (other than full attacks, which are full-round), why do we need to spell this out?

There's also attacks of opportunity, plus a few corner cases involving powers that allow a creature to exceed the normal action economy.

I believe we called out it as being a standard action since if we said it operated as a normal (e.g. melee) attack they'd be able to use the ability as part of a full attack routine - like a trip or disarm attack, which can be done multiple times by a combatant who has multiple melee attacks in a round. For that matter, if it's a melee attack they could even do it as an attack of opportunity.

It's just for clarity, really.

Cleon

Legend
Updated to standard actions (and the tiny bit of tactics for the boots). How's it look?

I'm not that keen on the first sentence of the Weapon Throwing. How about "An undead dragon can throw any melee weapon or throwing weapon at a dragon as a standard action."

Also, why are the tactics suddenly female - undead are genderless, and we've been using "it" as a descriptor in the rest of the text.

Given time to prepare for battle with a dragon, this undead dragon slayer enhances its combat abilities with spells, starting with freedom of movement and protection from energy. The undead dragon slayer opens combat with a bind wings attack against a single dragon, but begins with a dazzling display when fighting multiple dragons. During combat, it uses its sneak attack whenever possible and employs its smite dragon and true strike abilities opportunistically. If a moderately weakened dragon attempts escape, the undead dragon slayer will throw its greatsword as a way to finish the dragon off. It typically uses its boots of speed early in combat, especially against particularly tough or multiple foes.

Remove ads