• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting monsters from Second Edition Monstrous Compendiums

Cleon

Legend
I wonder if you chose more recent ones if it would change the statistics... But I'm willing to change to HD-based, I suppose.

That seems plausible, since the two most recent ones (the Warden Beast and Greater Shadowrath) are the CR-based ones in that dozen.

Unfortunately, viewing the folder I have my monsters saved in file-date order won't help much, since I saved most of them alphabetically in one huge session. Those added since then have file dates that roughly match the creation date, but unfortunately the only two templates-with-SR amongst them are the two mentioned above.

I've got a copy of the creature conversion web-page with the monster's creation dates, but I don't think it'd be a good use of my time going through it, sorting all the templates in chronological order, then checking them for SR.

I've got other things I should really be doing, so cheerio for now!

It is freyar soon, but I'm pretty motivated to get this one finished. I'll set aside some time.

That's what I though. Well an undead creature is immune to aging effects, so this conversion doesn't have to worry about how long it'll take... ;)

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Updated.

I think it might be done unless we want to add tactics. Do check the math, though.

Notes: I didn't apply the Weapon Focus (greatsword) or Imp Crit (greatsword) feats to the thrown greatsword, since that seems like a different "proficiency."
We also might want to rethink the +1d6 damage plus +1d6 per two HD extra damage of Improved Weapon Throwing. Unless we think it needs a really strong motive to throw a weapon away, though I guess that was the reason. It just seems a touch overpowered.

Cleon

Legend
Updated.

I think it might be done unless we want to add tactics. Do check the math, though.

Notes: I didn't apply the Weapon Focus (greatsword) or Imp Crit (greatsword) feats to the thrown greatsword, since that seems like a different "proficiency."

Those feats should apply to the thrown greatsword. Weapon Focus says "+1 bonus on all attack rolls" and Improved Critical says "when using the weapon". There's nothing limiting it to a particular technique.

We also might want to rethink the +1d6 damage plus +1d6 per two HD extra damage of Improved Weapon Throwing. Unless we think it needs a really strong motive to throw a weapon away, though I guess that was the reason. It just seems a touch overpowered.

I think that was part of the idea. He also only gets one attack per round with improved weapon throwing, which is a pretty significant limitation.

Hold on a second, I just looked at that special attack and there's no "as a standard action" in it - did we forget to include it? It's certainly overpowered if he can iterative attack with it!

freyar

I don't think you can attack iteratively with a thrown weapon --- you've thrown it away! Unless it's returning, maybe. But we probably should put "as a standard action" in there.

Any other number issues?

Cleon

Legend
I don't think you can attack iteratively with a thrown weapon --- you've thrown it away!

All you need is Quick Draw to ready the weapon as a free action and you can chuck them as fast as monsterously possible. It just means the Undead Dragon Slayer would have to carry LOTS of greatswords. :p

Unless it's returning, maybe.

We cheated giving that Animal Lord iterative attacks with a returning weapon - standard returning causes the weapon to return just before the thrower's next turn, too late for an iterative attack.

I didn't feel guilt about it - they are EPIC creatures, after all, so I'm willing to handwave the problem away.

But we probably should put "as a standard action" in there.

Yes, let's just put in "as a standard action". That ought to clear away the problem.

Any other number issues?

I haven't had time to read through the latest update, but from what I remember I didn't notice any other numerical problems the last time I checked it.

freyar

OK, when you do get a chance to check through, I'll update with those feasts and the "standard action" line.

Cleon

Legend
Yes, it'll take at least two or three months to check the numbers properly. :p

Okay, the basic stats are fine (hardly surprising as we haven't changed its abilities). I'd prefer to have the magic equipment in the AC and attack lines italicized - e.g. "+1 adamantine greatsword" - but apart from that it's fine.

However, there are a couple of errors in the Anti-Dragon stats.

As I believe I mentioned before, Weapon feats in greatsword still apply when he's throwing the greatsword, so he should get all their benefits. His thrown greatsword damage also appears to be short a point - I make it +5 (Str) +3 (magic) +6 (favoured enemy) = +14.

Attack: +1 adamantine dragon bane greatsword +22 melee (4d6+16/17-20) or +1 composite longbow (+5 Str) +15 ranged (1d8+12/×3) or +1 adamantine dragon bane greatsword +22 ranged (11d6+14/17-20)
Full Attack: +1 adamantine dragon bane greatsword +22/+17/+12 melee (4d6+16/17-20) or +1 composite longbow (+5 Str) +15/+10/+5 ranged (1d8+12/×3) or +1 adamantine dragon bane greatsword +22 ranged (11d6+14/17-20)

Oh, and his possessions list appears to have gone AWOL. It needs:

Equipment: +2 mithral full plate, +1 adamantine dragon bane greatsword, +1 composite longbow (+5 Str), 40 cold iron arrows, 30 silver arrows, 10 adamantine arrows, boots of speed, ring of protection +1, cloak of resistance +1, wand of inflict light wounds, 134 gp

Remove ads