Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

Cleon

Legend
I'm fine with the good saves and Unholy Resilience. I don't usually have much problem with making a monster tougher within reason. :devil:

Skills look good. I'm also fine with those three feats. If you want to make TWF a bonus, we could always go with Weapon Focus or something.

Might as well. Although I'd be game for something a little more exciting than Weapon Focus.

Alternatively, we could keep TWF a standard feat and give it Weapon Specialization (kiseru) as a bonus feat.

Come to think of it, the quill pen should be equivalent to a masterwork weapon, or rather a +1 weapon, since it's a magic item with a custom melee weapon special ability. The original monster had the same THAC0 with both weapons.

I've also realized that at some stage I accidentally cut out unarmed strike from its Martial Artistry meaning it has no weapon it can use its flurry of blows with - better fix that. I'll just change slow fall to unarmed strike.

PS. Was just going to see the next thing to add and realized that the full attack should probably be kiseru and quill pen what with TWF.

I was waiting until we decided on the Two-Weapon-Fighting position before add the dual-wielding. I'll specify the Quill Pen is considered a light weapon in the text (at least for TWF purposes) just for clarity.

Updating the Paper Warrior Working Draft.

Tactics: starts at range folding origami, then uses both kiseru and quill in melee?

I would suggest it prefers to cast a standard action spell while folding two origami as a move action. If it's penned in it would prefer to fold four origami to defend itself, but resorts to two weapon fighting plus folding a single origami if it's low on paper.

Come to think of it, that would require the Paper Warrior be very static and hence boring. How about changing "As a move-equivalent action, it can fold up to two pieces of paper into the shape of a creature and breathe upon them" to "As part of a normal move action, it can…" Then the Paper Warrior can maneuver around the battlefield while paper folding.

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
I've just thought of something. Can the Paper Warrior wield the kiseru as a monk weapon?

Hmm… I guess that it's weaker than a nunchaku or sai as far as damage and special attack options go, so there seems little harm in adding "The Paper Warrior can wield a kiseru as if it were a special monk weapon."

Full Attack: +1 kiseru +10/+5 melee (1d4+3) [+9/+9/+4 with flurry of blows]; or quill pen +10/+5 touch (special); or +1 kiseru +8/+3 melee (1d4+3) and quill pen +8 touch (special); or unarmed strike +9/+4 melee (1d8+2) [+8/+8/+3 with flurry of blows]

Cleon

Legend
I'm wondering whether we should rename the "Ki" ability to "Ki Resilience" (a) so the name better matches what it does, (b) match the Martial Resilience and Profane Resilience save-boosting abilities and (c) so the "Ki Speed" note of "*if it uses ki this becomes Fort +12, Ref +15, Will +15" is easier to understand.

Cleon

Legend
Looks like the base creature used to be monk. Human?

In this case the Paper Warrior was originally a Shugenja, a divine spellcasting class. The 1E Oriental Adventures version is more-or-less a cleric with a few monklike martial arts abilities bolted on.

EDIT: Oh, and the Seven Swords were all human before they were cursed to become undead.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Lots to reply to here.

TWF as a regular feat and Weapon Spec (kiseru) as a bonus sounds good.
Let's go ahead and make the quill a +1 weapon and give him unarmed strike in martial artistry. Good.
We can change the folding as you suggest or just let it fold 2 as a swift or move-equivalent action. That way, he can either move and fold 2 in a round or sit still and fold 4. Your suggested tactics are good, but I guess we need to settle this folding question first. Your choice.
Let's make a kiseru a monk weapon in its weapon description.
"Ki Resilience" as a name works for me.

Cleon

Legend
Lots to reply to here.

TWF as a regular feat and Weapon Spec (kiseru) as a bonus sounds good.
Let's go ahead and make the quill a +1 weapon and give him unarmed strike in martial artistry. Good.

Works for me.

We can change the folding as you suggest or just let it fold 2 as a swift or move-equivalent action. That way, he can either move and fold 2 in a round or sit still and fold 4. Your suggested tactics are good, but I guess we need to settle this folding question first. Your choice.

Hurr… If we have it fold 2 as a swift or move equivalent action, it could theoretically fold six per melee round so long as it doesn't move.

How about making it to 2 for a swift action or 4 as a standard action?

We could change the first three sentences of the Fold Origami special attack to: "The Paper Warrior carries fourteen pieces of magical paper. It can fold these papers into the shapes of creatures and breathe upon them, whereupon the papers grow to the size of a man and animate into origami creations. The Paper Warrior can fold 2 origami creations as a swift action or 4 as a standard action, but it cannot perform both actions in the same round to create 6 paper servants."

I guess we should also change "The Paper Warrior can blow a paper creation" to "origami creation" for the sake of consistency.

Let's make a kiseru a monk weapon in its weapon description.
"Ki Resilience" as a name works for me.

I can agree to that.

During the update I simplified the Unholy Resilience text from "The Paper Warrior gains a +3 profane bonus to all Fort, Ref, and Will saves" to "The Paper Warrior gains a +3 profane bonus to its saving throws".

While putting "The Paper Warrior can wield a kiseru as if it were a special monk weapon" in the weapon description as requested but did wonder about putting it in Martial Artistry instead.

Oh, and just to make sure. When you wrote "Let's make a kiseru a monk weapon in its weapon description" did you mean you'd prefer they counted as monk weapons for any monk? In which case I'd have to delete the "wield a kiseru" bit above and substitute the following:

Kiseru: A kiseru is a tobacco pipe about as long as its wielder's forearm. They are normally made of wood with metal ends, but some kiseru are made entirely of metal. While kiseru appear to be harmless smoker's pipes they are actually solid enough to be used as clubbing weapons.

The kiseru is a special monk weapon. This designation gives a monk wielding a kiseru special options.

I don't much mind either way.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I'll agree to 2 origami as a swift action or 4 as a standard action with the text as you suggest.

I meant to make the kiseru a monk weapon for anyone, as in your revised weapon description. If you don't mind, let's go with that.

Are we done with the mechanical bits to your satisfaction?

Cleon

Legend
I'll agree to 2 origami as a swift action or 4 as a standard action with the text as you suggest.

I meant to make the kiseru a monk weapon for anyone, as in your revised weapon description. If you don't mind, let's go with that.

I have no objection to "monk weapon for anyone" so:

Are we done with the mechanical bits to your satisfaction?

We've still got the Rejuvenation SQ to flesh out and ?s for the Skills, Challenge Rating and Alignment.

Come to think of it, didn't we already decide on the skills or at least discuss them? Have we lost an update or did I just forget to do it?

…looks like we did agree:

Skills: Concentration +11, Craft (origami) +13, Craft (papermaking) +13, Listen +14, Spot +14, Tumble +14

Skills look good.

Cleon

Legend
We've still got the Rejuvenation SQ to flesh out and ?s for the Skills, Challenge Rating and Alignment.

The original monster stat table lists "LE" for the Paper Warrior's alignment, so I'll remove the question mark for that.

All we have left mechanically is Rejuvenation and confirming the CR.

Remove ads