Converting original D&D and Mystara monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
BOZ said:
looks like the majority are going with Humanoid, which is what i was thinking anyway. there's a lot to look at here, and i'll have a good look at it when i have a moment.

The reason why mine says Monstrous Humanoid is simply because that is how the anthropomorphic template works, otherwise I would have gone Humanoid.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Psychotic Jim said:
I second the Humanoid type sugguestion, perhaps giving it a Feline subtype, given the comparable D&D tendency to give the reptile-like kobold and lizardfolk the Reptilian subtype

actually, you were more than second. ;)

i know what you mean about the subtype, and like the idea of it... but its unprecedented. is that something we should leave up to individual DMs (like, for example, if a DM has tabaxi, rakasta, and caiveh in the same world, feline subtype would be great) or should we go by the humanoid standard of one subtype per race (or shared between similar)?

Krishnath

First Post
If a ranger chooses humanoid as his favored enemy, he must specialize on a subtype such as reptilian, or elf. Or in the case of the rakasta, feline. He can't just take humanoid. I think it might be an attempt to not make the ranger to overpowered.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
BOZ said:
i know what you mean about the subtype, and like the idea of it... but its unprecedented. is that something we should leave up to individual DMs (like, for example, if a DM has tabaxi, rakasta, and caiveh in the same world, feline subtype would be great) or should we go by the humanoid standard of one subtype per race (or shared between similar)?

That's how I do it for my homebrewed world. The Rakasta, Tabaxi, and my own creation the Kitt (anthro cats) all have the Feline subtype. BTW, the new Catfolk race in the Miniatures Handbook lists 'Catfolk' as it's subtype. So you might want to use 'Catfolk' instead of 'Feline' to remain more in line with v.3.5.

Me, I'm just changing 'Catfolk' to 'Feline' for that creature's subtype. You can never have too many cat races, IMO. It's like having different cultures of humans to me, with some additional racial features.

Cheers!

KF72

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
While I think the Feline subtype is a good idea, I'd stick with the current format and give the Rakasta the subtype of (Rakasta), much like the Gnoll's is (Gnoll) and the Catfolk's is (Catfolk). I wish WOTC had come up with more subtypes for similar humanoids, but in the interest of being consistent, I'd stick to the way it is now.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Shade said:
I wish WOTC had come up with more subtypes for similar humanoids, but in the interest of being consistent, I'd stick to the way it is now.

oh god, you're so right about that. you have some that are shared like goblinoid and reptilian, but after that there are dozens that apply to only one race. sheesh. i'm going to have to go with Rakasta since there's no in-print precedent for a "generic" cat-race subtype.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases