• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting original D&D and Mystara monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortis

First Post
Shade said:
I'd ditch Hide and Move Silently, as the armor check penalty from its plate mail (-6) will essentially nullify them. If we make it masterwork (which I think we should), it will be only -5.
Shade

I've already taken the ACP into account

60 skill points = 6 skills at 10 ranks each so:
Hide 10 ranks + 3 (dex) - 6 (ACP) = +7 (Jump & Move Silently are similar).

I gave them Move Silently to aid their invisibility - not much use being invisible if your opponents can hear you a mile a way. :)

Always open to other suggestions though. ;)

Regards,
Mortis

Shade

Monster Junkie
Ahhh...OK, I see that now. That's cool, although I think you could do without Hide, thanks to their invisibility (even though you can Hide while invisible). Maybe Search?

Mortis

First Post
Shade said:
Ahhh...OK, I see that now. That's cool, although I think you could do without Hide, thanks to their invisibility (even though you can Hide while invisible). Maybe Search?
Search works for me. :)

Regards,
Mortis

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Knightfall1972 said:
I'd like to add the Darkwing, Gyerian, Hutaakan, Kna, Lupin, Mek ... Shark-kin, and Wyrd (all from the Mystara MC) to the queue.
GrayLinnorm said:
It's not on the list given, but I'd like to see the ebon tiger converted.
we'll try to get to these all in due time. :)

Mortis said:
This is going a little off the topic, but this is what PC4 Night Howlers has to say about the effects of silver on lycanthropes.

Even if we don't use my silver armor idea for standard campaigns, I think I'll use it for my Mystara campaigns. :)

sounds good. i'd say that the effects of silver touching lycanthrops (as opposed to injuring them) is probably something unique to Mystara or at least that book. since it is not included in standard 3E, i don't really want to go there. if it was something specific to the armor the silver warrior was wearing, i would use it.

as to the skills:
Mortis said:
Skills: Hide +7, Jump +8, Listen +10, Move Silently +7, Sense Motive +10, Spot +10
Shade said:
I'd ditch Hide and Move Silently, as the armor check penalty from its plate mail (-6) will essentially nullify them. If we make it masterwork (which I think we should), it will be only -5.

BOZ - Also note that max Dex to AC will be +1, regardless of what score we give it.
Mortis said:
I've already taken the ACP into account

60 skill points = 6 skills at 10 ranks each so:
Hide 10 ranks + 3 (dex) - 6 (ACP) = +7 (Jump & Move Silently are similar).

I gave them Move Silently to aid their invisibility - not much use being invisible if your opponents can hear you a mile a way. :)
Shade said:

OK, i will totally agree that their ability to remain unseen is almost entirely due to their invisibility power. MS makes them hard to detect, so that needs to stay. so just switch the given Hide ranks to Search and call it a day?

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Mortis said:
Str 19 Dex 16 Con 15 Int 10 Wis 11 Cha 14?

oh right, did we agree on this yet?

that Str might be a bit high (maybe), but i think the rest are OK. maybe a higher Wis, maybe not.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I seem to remember that we decided on high Str so that they actually could hit somethihg since they are crippled with wizard BAB.

I'm fine with the ability scores, but would be OK with a +2 bump to Wis.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
This is about the only other combat-like thing I see:
"A silver warrior slain in combat will dissolve into the substance of a Shining Isle, as will its weapon and armor."

Mortis

First Post
Shade said:
I seem to remember that we decided on high Str so that they actually could hit somethihg since they are crippled with wizard BAB.

I'm fine with the ability scores, but would be OK with a +2 bump to Wis.
Obviously I'm fine with the ability acores too, although I wouldn't feel hard done by if we gave the +2 bump to Wis.

As regards, the wizard BAB, that's one reason I was initially favouring the Outsider type. ;)

On a related issue, should we mention the benefits the summoned Silver Warriors get from faedorne's Augment Summoning ability in the Combat section?

BOZ said:
"A silver warrior slain in combat will dissolve into the substance of a Shining Isle, as will its weapon and armor."

As Shade says, that's fine as flavour text.

OK, i will totally agree that their ability to remain unseen is almost entirely due to their invisibility power. MS makes them hard to detect, so that needs to stay. so just switch the given Hide ranks to Search and call it a day?
That's fine, and if we increase the Wis by 2 that's another +1 to Listen, Sense Motive and Spot. :)

Regards,
Mortis

Shade

Monster Junkie
Add a request for death demon (ostegos) from Castle Amber and later in the Creature Catalogues.

I think we were going to do this one around the time of the Castle Amber conversions, but it has since been forgotten. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads