Converting prehistoric animals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortis

First Post
Shade said:
For speed, do we want to give it just a land speed, or also a swim speed?
The wikipedia entry does mention that some of them could swim so yes a swim speed seems reasonable.
wikipedia said:
Some eurypterids have paddles, which were used to propel themselves through water. Some argue that the paddles were also used for digging. Underneath, in addition to the pair of swimming appendages the creature had 4 pairs of jointed legs for walking, and two small claws at the front

Shade said:
Its AC converts to 17 per the conversion guidelines. That would result in a +7 natural armor bonus. A Medium monstrous scorpion has a +4 natural armor bonus. Is +7 too high?
No I don't reckon +7 is too high.

Regards
Mortis

RavinRay

Explorer
Actually I'd reverse those speeds, even for amphibious species, and definitely they can't use the Run action on land. I've got to check with other statted amphibious creatures, though.

Shade

Monster Junkie
RavinRay said:
Actually I'd reverse those speeds, even for amphibious species, and definitely they can't use the Run action on land. I've got to check with other statted amphibious creatures, though.

Sounds good. You're the expert. :D

Mortis

First Post
Homebrews said:
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 11, Con 13, Int -, Wis 10, Cha 2
Skills: -
Feats: 2
A mindless vermin doesn't generally have any feats, still we could give it a bonus one.

I'm happy with switching the speeds around too.

CR 2?

...and looks down except for the flavour text.

Regards
Mortis

RavinRay

Explorer
Oh, BTW, if you want to see a video of a eurypterid and how it moves, check out the Walking With Monsters video from BBC at YouTube. It's in the first half.

Edit: If you go through the entire 12-part series, there are several beasties there that might be on BOZ's list which can serve as inspiration for statting them. I'll go back and list the critters which appear in the videos. ;)

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads