• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting prehistoric animals

Status
Not open for further replies.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
How about Power Attack, Improved Bull's Rush and Awesome Blow? And yes, I know the feats I originally gave the bronto are boring. But they are for all the MM dinos (too much Toughness).

Demiurge out.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
updating in homebrews - how's it lookin? we probably need to re-set the CR. 10 for a 26-HD creature is pretty pathetic. :D

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
CR 10 for 26 HD is sad, but the primary ability of the thing is HP. Few special attacks and a bottom-of-the-barrel AC tend to reflect into a lower CR. Especially since the seismosaurus (the only "official" D&D sauropod) has 32 HD and a CR of 11, if I recall correctly.

Demiurge out.

Zaster

First Post
demiurge1138 said:
Especially since the seismosaurus (the only "official" D&D sauropod) has 32 HD and a CR of 11, if I recall correctly.

Minor correction. Seismo is CR 12.
I think the point is valid, though.

Last edited:

Zaster

First Post
A few more big animals and thier Challenge ratings for comparison:

Dire Elephant (MMII) is 20HD, AC 10, CR 10

Indricothere (FF) is 16HD, AC 19, CR 9

Dire Shark (MM) is 18HD, AC 17, CR 9

Triceratops (MM) is 16 HD, AC 18, CR 9

I'm thinking CR for our bronto might be 11 or 12 (??)

Shade

Monster Junkie
CR 12 should work. I definitely overstated it earlier, as it shouldn't outclass the seismosaurus.

Otherwise, it looks finished, except for the question mark after the weight range of 30-40 tons. This sounds reasonable to me, but once again I'll defer to the dino-experts.

Zaster

First Post
I've got a couple books handy:
Smithsonian Handbooks' "Dinosaurs and Prehistoric Life" says 38 1/2 tons.
Macmillan Encyclopedia of Dinosaurs & Prehistoric Animals says 33 tons.
So I think 30-40 tons is probably pretty much on the mark.

This is nit-picky on my part, but I find the following sentence really awkward:
This creature’s name, commonly mistaken as Brontosaurus, means “thunder lizard” for the sound it makes as it walks.
How about something like, "The creature's former name, Brontosaurus, means...", ect. More accurate, less ambiguous.

Otherwise, the text is really good, and I think we can prolly wrap this one up.

Last edited:

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
i really wasn't sure how to write that line, but i definitely wanted the more regocnizable name to play a small part. :) anyone want to fix that line for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads