Converting prehistoric creatures

Status
Not open for further replies.
I certainly like the tripping abilities too and I think we should keep them. I suppose they can still work even with the bear flavor because if a bear knocks you to the ground, it can and will tear you apart.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
OK, bearing up and adding a HD gets us

Arctognathus
Medium Animal
Hit Dice: 4d8+8 (26 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 40ft (8 squares)
Armor Class: 15 (+1 Dex, +4 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+7
Attack: Bite +7 melee (1d6+6)
Full Attack: Bite +7 melee (1d6+6)
Space/Reach: 5ft/5ft
Special Attacks: Tear fallen +1d6, trip
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +2
Abilities: Str 19, Dex 13, Con 15, Int 2, Wis 13, Cha 6
Skills: Hide +6, Listen +5, Move Silently +6, Spot +5, Survival +3, 1 more (Survival?)
Feats: Alertness, Track
Environment: Warm plains
Organization: Solitary, pair or pack (4-8)
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 5-8 HD (Medium)
Level Adjustment: -

Do we want to keep Alertness as the second feat? Do we want to keep them pack hunters? Do we want to boost AC and/or CR? They're starting to look more competitive with dire wolves than black bears with this set of stats.

What we have there is prolly worth a CR of 3. I'm not too sure on pack hunting. Agree with adding the new skill point to Survival. Where's Shade right now anyways?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Yeah, they're a little better than the bear. I don't think they could quite go toe to toe with a dire wolf, though. Not strong enough, not enough hp. Might be a weak CR 3, though.

Let's put the last rank in Survival. Alertness is ok for the feat, too. Power Attack is an option, but they're not intelligent enough to use it effectively, so we'd need to specify how they use it.

Edit: Let's maybe shrink the packs to families of 3-4.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Not claw attacks, I think (I like them with just a powerful bite), but giving it augmented critical like the other gorgonopsid and a boost to either Dex or natural armor should help.

I'd support adding more natural armor and augmented critical. How do we want to do the augmented critical, however? Do we want to augment the threat range or the damage multiplier, or both?

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I'd rather boost Dex than natural armor, actually. The Large one we did had +6 natural armor, and it'd be weird for the Medium one to have the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads