Converting "Real World" Animals and Vermin

Shade

Monster Junkie
It's probably not an animal, but since I gathered up the stats...

Octopus, deep-dwelling
CLIMATE/TERRAIN: Deep ocean/
Hydrothermal vents
FREQUENCY: Very Rare
ORGANIZATION: Colony
ACTIVITY CYCLE: Any
DIET: Carnivore
INTELLIGENCE: Average (8-10)
TREASURE: See text
ALIGNMENT: Neutral (good)
NO. APPEARING: 10-40
ARMOR CLASS: 7
MOVEMENT: 3/Sw 12
HIT DICE: 1-1
THAC0: 19
NO. OF ATTACKS: 7 or 4
DAMAGE/ATTACK: 1-2(x6)/1-3 or 1-6(x3)/1-3
SPECIAL ATTACKS: See text
SPECIAL DEFENSES: See text
MAGIC RESISTANCE: Nil
SIZE: M
MORALE: Average (8)
XP VALUE: 75

The deep-dwelling octopus is a distant cousin of the common octopus, averaging 8’ in diameter and weighing about 65 lbs. Its skin has a bioluminescent pigment that it manipulates with great facility. Thus, in the absolute darkness of the ocean’sdepths, it appears as a floating; shifting arrangement of greenish lights. Under sunlike illumination, it can be seen that the deep-dweller has a whiter skin and larger body sac than its shallow-dwelling relative. Its illuminating pigment aside, a deep-dwelling octopus possesses no ability to camouflage itself. It lives for an average of 30-35 years.

Combat: Peaceful by nature, the deepdwelling octopus has little combat experience, aside from battling the occasional predatory fish. Nevertheless, when threatened, it can be a cunning and tenacious fighter. When entering combat, a deepdweller normally anchors itself with two of its tentacles and attacks with the other six. Each tentacle can inflict 1d2 hp damage with a blow. All six may be directed against a single opponent, or the attacks may be distributed among up to three adversaries. A deep-dweller may also bite with its powerful beak for 1d3 hp damage.

The tentacles of a deep-dweller are tough and can hold with surprising strength. Opponents less than 4’ tall struck by a tentacle must save vs. paralyzation or be grasped. Grasped creatures automatically suffer 1d2 hp constriction damage per attached tentacle on each subsequent round. Moreover, if a creature has been grasped by two or more tentacles, the deep-dweller receives a +2 bonus on all succeeding attack rolls made with its beak. A victim may attempt to free itself by rolling his Strength or less on 2d8; success indicates that a tentacle has been removed (a separate check being made for each tentacle). Regardless of whether or not attempt is successful, a creature trying to remove a tentacle may perform no other actions.

Grasped creatures may also be freed by severing the tentacles that hold them. Each tentacle takes 2 hp damage to sever, and this amount is not subtracted from the creature.s total hit points. Grasped creatures may attack but do so at a -2 penalty; they may not cast spells. Severed tentacles regrow in 1d6 months.

In general, deep-dwellers have little contact with hostile groups, having driven out rival predators long ago. Most reside in a state of semi-innocence and possess no weapons. The few colonies that have been recently attacked always have special defenses. Against larger opponents, for example, they have been known to employ small spears of bone. These weapons do 1d6 hp damage, require two tentacles each to employ, and cannot be thrown. Deep-dwellers may also attempt to surprise foes. A common ploy is for the octopi to approach their victims from above, having .turned off. their luminescence. In such cases characters take a -2 penalty to their surprise rolls.

Although not cowardly by nature, deepdwellers do not hesitate to break off combat if it begins to go against them. (An exception to this is a female protecting her young.) Typically, they emit a burst of glowing ink (sepia), turn off their own luminescence, and flee the area. At short range, the cloud obscures vision; at long range, it may be mistaken for an actual deep-dwelling octopus. Furthermore, the cloud of ink is naturally cohesive. Characters or objects caught in the cloud (all within a 10’ sphere must save vs. breath weapon at -2 to avoid) continue to glow for 4d4 hours; the effect is similar to a faerie fire spell.

Habitat/Society: Deep-dwelling octopi are found on the ocean floor at depths greater than 9,000’ and in the vicinity of hydrothermal vents. As vents are transient by nature, octopoid communities are frequently on the move.

Deep-dwellers communicate with each other by a combination of clicking noises produced by their beaks and by altering the pattern of lights on their bodies. This makes communication with other races somewhat difficult. A tongues spell grants comprehension to a character, but it does not allow him to speak unless he can also assume the form of an octopoid and reproduce its bioluminescence.

Deep-dwellers have neither been exposed to magic nor have developed the concept of religion. Thus, they have no mages or priests. The octopi are, however, naturally curious. Should they be intro duced to either phenomenon, it could affect their culture radically.

Ecology: Deep-dwelling octopi have established an agrarian society. Near the hottest land most nutrient-rich) part of a vent, they raise giant tube worms and clams. The clams and worms provide food and, when the shells are cleaned out, shelter. Farther from a vent, the octopoids tend fields of shrimp and mussels. Some octopoid communities are known to raise crabs and lobsters as well.

Deep-dwellers do not have a concept of money as such, but individuals may possess treasure. Pearls are often strung to form necklaces or bracelets, then sprayed with ink so as to glow. Octopoids are fine sculptors whose work would certainly be considered unique if brought to the surface. Additionally, the area surrounding the hydrothermal vent is typically rich in precious metals, though these would require excavation. Finally, many wizards would pay dearly for a bottle of deep-dwelling octopus ink, as it can be used to prepare magical glyphs and scrolls.

Originally appeared in Dragon Magazine #190 (1993).

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Got t ogo with magical beast there. 1HD seems a little low, though, especially since it's substantially bigger than the 2HD regular octopus. Maybe 2 or 3 HD but poor Con (to go with the -1 on the HD)?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Octopus is Str 12, Dex 17, Con 11, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 3. Maybe Str 16, Dex 15, Con 9, Int 8, Wis 11, Cha 11? I could even see dropping the Str a little since their damage is pretty low.

Cleon

Legend
No, those suggested stats work pretty well for me.

I'd drop the Strength myself. A Giant Octopus is Large, if you reversed the advancement rules it works out as Str 12, Dex 17, Con 9 if scaled down from Medium sized. I imagine it as being a less powerfully built than a Giant Octopus, since they rarely fight anything tougher than the crab they select for their dinner and have lousy Hit Dice, indicating they're a fairly inoffensive species. I can easily see them only having Str 10.

So I prefer Str 10 (maybe 12), Dex 17 (maybe 15), Con 9, Int 9, Wis 12, Cha 10.

I can see how you might fancy Str 16, since it's halfway between the Small regular octopus's Str 12 and the Large giant octopus's Str 20. However, the deepdweller only weight 65 pounds, which is very close to the typical upper weight limit of a Small creature, so I feel it could reasonably have similar physical stats to the Small regular octopus.

In either case, if it has the same natural armour as a regular octopus it would end out having a better AC than the original deepwater octopus. Should we give it no NA and Dex 17, or +1 NA and Dex 15, so it gets AC13, the equivalent of AD&D AC7?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases