Converting True Dragons

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated. I penciled the SLAs in where I thought they'd fit, and assigned some usages. Feel free to debate 'em if you think they should change.

We could probably use another SLA for Adult. I'm not fond of rainbow pattern or scintillating pattern, though. How about displacement?

Or perhaps, instead of another SLA, the ranger's camouflage ability?

Camouflage (Ex): A ranger of 13th level or higher can use the Hide skill in any sort of natural terrain, even if the terrain doesn’t grant cover or concealment.

RavinRay - I can't seem to locate your Opal Dragon. Would you mind posting a link, or just the breath weapon text?

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
Updated. I penciled the SLAs in where I thought they'd fit, and assigned some usages. Feel free to debate 'em if you think they should change.

We could probably use another SLA for Adult. I'm not fond of rainbow pattern or scintillating pattern, though. How about displacement?

Or perhaps, instead of another SLA, the ranger's camouflage ability?

Camouflage (Ex): A ranger of 13th level or higher can use the Hide skill in any sort of natural terrain, even if the terrain doesn’t grant cover or concealment.

RavinRay - I can't seem to locate your Opal Dragon. Would you mind posting a link, or just the breath weapon text?

Camouflage is a good idea, but I reckon it should kick in earlier - it is a Chameleon Dragon, after all.

How about Camouflage at juvenile and misdirection 3/day at adult?

The rest of its SLAs look fine to me.

RavinRay

Explorer
Here's my opal dragon breath weapon verbatim. Good thing I brought my D&D flash drive along. ;)

Breath Weapon (Su): An opal dragon has one breath weapon: a cone of multicolored light that works like the color spray spell except that it also causes hit point damage, even to sightless creatures.

RavinRay

Explorer
Double-post.

Might as well edit this to say that the opal dragon is one of three homebrew gem dragons that manifest powers subpsionically, using the subconscious (the others being jade and turquoise), with a carnelian dragon as Sardior's deputy to them (much like Gruaglathor of the ferrous dragons).

Plus I've got 2e stat blocks and fluff up for another group of dragons which I can give to Shade sometime in the future.

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
Thanks!

Updated.

Skills: Bluff, Disguise, and Hide are considered class skills for chameleon dragons?

*Can also cast cleric spells and those from the x, x, and x domains as arcane spells.

Trickery? Animal? Law?

Cleon

Legend
Here's my opal dragon breath weapon verbatim. Good thing I brought my D&D flash drive along. ;)

Breath Weapon (Su): An opal dragon has one breath weapon: a cone of multicolored light that works like the color spray spell except that it also causes hit point damage, even to sightless creatures.

Maybe we could have the effects of the Breath Weapon scale with the Dragon's HD? Something like:

Up to 1/4 Dragon's HD - Target is unconscious, blinded, and stunned for 2d4 rounds, then blinded and stunned for 1d4 rounds, and then stunned for 1 round. (Only living creatures are knocked unconscious.)

Up to 1/2 Dragon's HD - Target is blinded and stunned for 1d4 rounds, then stunned for 1 round.

More than 1/2 Dragon's HD - Target is stunned for 1 round.

Cleon

Legend
Thanks!

Updated.

Skills: Bluff, Disguise, and Hide are considered class skills for chameleon dragons?

Those all seem reasonable.

*Can also cast cleric spells and those from the x, x, and x domains as arcane spells.

What's the basis for giving it cleric spells? The original dragon makes no mention of it casting clerical spells, and standard 1E dragons cast MU spells.

Trickery? Animal? Law?

I was thinking more Charm and Trickery.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads