Converting True Dragons

RavinRay

Explorer
At least this presents us with a challenge to convert! ;)

Reading back the entry, it has similarities with the dracolich in that the original dragon dies and then exists in another state. The air dragon can even get to keep its original body if it chooses. Maybe we can create a template for it at age category 13 and then extrapolate upwards as the scalable template you mention. It'll be a first. When we get to the CR we can compare how this fares against the +2/virtual age category for advanced dragon progression.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Reading back the entry, it has similarities with the dracolich in that the original dragon dies and then exists in another state. The air dragon can even get to keep its original body if it chooses. Maybe we can create a template for it at age category 13 and then extrapolate upwards as the scalable template you mention. It'll be a first. When we get to the CR we can compare how this fares against the +2/virtual age category for advanced dragon progression.

Reading through it again, I agree that this is the best approach.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Yes, scalable template is what I'd go for too, although I'm thinking this is going to be one of those problematic conversions...

It has all the ingredients. ;)

On the bright side, this is technically the last entry in this thread (although we'll probably tackle some dragons other unofficial sources have already updated), so we might as well go out with a bang!

Cleon

Legend
It has all the ingredients. ;)

On the bright side, this is technically the last entry in this thread (although we'll probably tackle some dragons other unofficial sources have already updated), so we might as well go out with a bang!

Might as well get down to it then.

I'm not sure we really need "age grades" per se for this template, since it gets all of its special abilities at "grade zero".

The rest of it's just increased HD, fear radius and ability scores as it Advances, so maybe just a Special Advancement would be enough?

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'm not sure we really need "age grades" per se for this template, since it gets all of its special abilities at "grade zero".

The rest of it's just increased HD, fear radius and ability scores as it Advances, so maybe just a Special Advancement would be enough?

Agreed.

Cleon

Legend
Reads like it's incorporeal to me.

Yes, definitely incorporeal.

What are we going to do about its Armor Class? The original has a terrifying AC of from -8 to -19. That's way better than a regular dragon, and natural armour seems out since it's incorporeal.

Maybe give it a really hefty deflection, dodge, or enhancement bonus to AC? Or all three!

Remove ads