Converting World of Greyhawk monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Mortis said:
I'd favour minotaur for physical and centaur for mental abilities, but given as it has over double the HD of either of those maybe we could up the stats a bit to give something along the lines of:

Str 22, Dex 12, Con 17, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 12
Natural Armor: +6

Just for the heck of it, taking a bull (bison stats) and minotaur and using the tauric creature template would result in the following:

Str 22, Dex 10, Con 16, Int 7, Wis 10, Cha 8
Natural Armor: +5

Since the manotaur was intended to be smarter than the minotaur, and seems physically more powerful than the two combined, the higher ability scores you suggested make sense.

Let's revisit feats after we hammer out its attacks and special abilities.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I like the higher ability scores, as well.

Powerful charge looks pretty good, though we need to add that it knocks the victim down and back.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Shade said:
Interesting...how similar is it?
Now that I compare them, they are the same creature; exactly the same AC, HD, Attacks, Special Attacks, etc. The version in CB1 has very little description text, but two thirds of what it doesn't have is repeated in the MCA3, with only minor changes. And the other third has been rewritten, but with largely the same meaning. I would scan it for you, but a colony of "Ants, Small Annoying" seems to have taken up residence inside my scanner sometime earlier this week, with dire consequences :(

Shade

Monster Junkie
I added to Homebrews based on the ability scores Mortis recommended.

freyar said:
Powerful charge looks pretty good, though we need to add that it knocks the victim down and back.

Hmmm...it sounds like Powerful Charge, Improved Bull Rush and Improved Overrun all rolled into one. I'll look through other creatures and see if one has a similar ability.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Echohawk said:
Now that I compare them, they are the same creature; exactly the same AC, HD, Attacks, Special Attacks, etc. The version in CB1 has very little description text, but two thirds of what it doesn't have is repeated in the MCA3, with only minor changes. And the other third has been rewritten, but with largely the same meaning. I would scan it for you, but a colony of "Ants, Small Annoying" seems to have taken up residence inside my scanner sometime earlier this week, with dire consequences :(

No problem. So basically, it has very little different worth noting, eh?

Mortis

First Post
freyar said:
Wouldn't it make more sense to knock a victim down and then trample it rather than knocking it back?

Regards
Mortis

Shade

Monster Junkie
I think this text from the Driving Attack feat in the PHBII is fairly close to the original intent:

If you use a full-round action to make a single melee attack with any piercing weapon and succeed in hitting, you can initiate a special bull rush attempt against the target. The bull rush uses your total bonus on damage rolls in place of your Strength modifier. You do not provoke an attack of opportunity with this bull rush, and you cannot move forward with your opponent.

If you succeed in pushing an opponent back 10 feet or more, you can reduce the distance you push him by 10 feet. In return, your foe falls prone in the square when he ends his movement. Note that by reducing the distance you push your opponent, you can have him fall prone in his current space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases