• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Convince me that the Ranger is a necessary Class.

Remathilis

Legend
IMO
  1. Sorcerer has the least class identity. It's just a wizard with a different casting stat.
  2. Ranger second least. Just a fighter with nature skills, maybe a druid dip.
  3. Druid, could be a cleric
  4. Barbarian (playtest) could be an angry fighter. Though the playtest learned into the natrual connection moved it up a few notch.
  5. Paladin, just a cleric/fighter.
  6. Fighter, flexible but pretty generic. Right in the middle.
  7. Bard, has a theme that's kind of all over the place.
  8. Rogue, anyone can take stealth and lockpicking.
  9. Wizard, variety of spells
  10. Monk (playtest), speedster. It's mechanical identity has improved a lot with the playtest.
  11. Cleric, has good themes depending on your god.
  12. Warlock, has a unique mechanics and fun story books.
  13. Artificer. Combat craftsman is unique.
Reduction lists like this always remind me that the D&D class list is arbitrary and every class could be boiled down to "martial" and "caster" with enough reduction. You end up so close to a classless system you might as well make that last leap.

In the end, class identity is so purely subjective that there is no way to justify any class existing. Except tradition, I guess.

Horwath

Legend
Reduction lists like this always remind me that the D&D class list is arbitrary and every class could be boiled down to "martial" and "caster" with enough reduction. You end up so close to a classless system you might as well make that last leap.

In the end, class identity is so purely subjective that there is no way to justify any class existing. Except tradition, I guess.
d12 HD, full martial, no caster
d10 HD, 1/2 caster
d8 HD, 2/3rd caster
d6 HD, full caster

Remathilis

Legend
d12 HD, full martial, no caster
d10 HD, 1/2 caster
d8 HD, 2/3rd caster
d6 HD, full caster
Still subjective. The current classes don't adhere to this structure, and there is no such thing as a 2/3rd caster. You might as well assign a point cost to HD, weapon/armor use, spells and class features and just let people buy what they want within a budget that doesn't allow for all goodstuff.

Which is why any attempt to inject "logic" into D&D class structure is bound to fail. Fantasy heartbreakers are born and die around making D&D classes make sense. Classes are vibes more than logical entities and attempts to cram classes into neat boxes (be it fighter subclass, martial leader, or d12/no caster) all end up feeling more like a grid filling experiment than actual archetype fulfillment.

Horwath

Legend
Still subjective. The current classes don't adhere to this structure, and there is no such thing as a 2/3rd caster. You might as well assign a point cost to HD, weapon/armor use, spells and class features and just let people buy what they want within a budget that doesn't allow for all goodstuff.
that is the final version of classless D&D.

start with d6 HD, no armor, simple weapons, 2 skills and 2 saves and then buy with "feat slots" everything else.
Which is why any attempt to inject "logic" into D&D class structure is bound to fail. Fantasy heartbreakers are born and die around making D&D classes make sense. Classes are vibes more than logical entities and attempts to cram classes into neat boxes (be it fighter subclass, martial leader, or d12/no caster) all end up feeling more like a grid filling experiment than actual archetype fulfillment.
that is 100% true.

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
that is the final version of classless D&D.

start with d6 HD, no armor, simple weapons, 2 skills and 2 saves and then buy with "feat slots" everything else.
I started them with d8 HD and light armor, but otherwise that's how I run classless.

mellored

Legend

Oh, it's very much an In My Opinion list.

But I expect if everyone made such a list, there would be a fair amount of overlap.

Remove ads