• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cookin again

Zardnaar

Legend
Went to Red Lobster for the first time in over a year with a friend tonight, in order to consume cheddar bay biscuits. Oh yeah, and some seafood.

RL isn’t the greatest place, but those bisc are ridiculous. And they’re one of the few places around here serving fried clams- a favorite of mine- and they also serve scallops, another fave that’s hard to find, though not so rare as clams. For many years, I’ve had them modify a plate they offer that has both and other seafood to be entirely clams & scallops.

Well, apparently, I’m not alone, because their reworked menu now includes both on their “build your own” platter which had previously contained neither. So I opted for that, scallops and double clams, just like I would have done on the modified plate.

What I hadn’t realized was that the portions on the BYO were LARGER than on what I used to get. For the first time, I had to take leftovers home.

Was it better though since dining out has been so long?

We're dining out a lot as they're encouring people to spend money.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I’ve actually been dining out for months, even before I got vaccinated.

I consciously avoided places that were crowded (which some were) or didn’t seem like they were taking things seriously. And most of the places I hit were family owned, not chains.

So, for instance, once barber shops reopened, I returned to my routine of eating Vietnamese for breakfast every 2 weeks at this one particular place- my second favorite Vietnamese restaurant right now- on my way to my appointment. I felt safe because I was going in shortly after open, so I was usually the only customer. If I wasn‘t, the next patron was usually more than 20’ away.

Similarly, I’d hit an Indian buffet I like on Saturday mornings right as they opened sometimes. Not only were tables spread out, but they insisted on masks and gloves going through the buffet…and supplied them on a small table right near the plates.

Zardnaar

Legend
I’ve actually been dining out for months, even before I got vaccinated.

I consciously avoided places that were crowded (which some were) or didn’t seem like they were taking things seriously. And most of the places I hit were family owned, not chains.

So, for instance, once barber shops reopened, I returned to my routine of eating Vietnamese for breakfast every 2 weeks at this one particular place- my second favorite Vietnamese restaurant right now- on my way to my appointment. I felt safe because I was going in shortly after open, so I was usually the only customer. If I wasn‘t, the next patron was usually more than 20’ away.

Similarly, I’d hit an Indian buffet I like on Saturday mornings right as they opened sometimes. Not only were tables spread out, but they insisted on masks and gloves going through the buffet…and supplied them on a small table right near the plates.

Nice we try to avoid rush hour at the best of times.

I ate out for the first time yesterday, now that we are all vaccinated, and it felt wonderful! (When I travelled to Alabama and Georgia a couple of months ago, we did go to one restaurant, but I'm not counting it, since all of the seating was outside.)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter

Greens: baby spinach, romaine, butter, red leaf
Green onion
Shredded Parmesan
Boiled egg
1/2 sliced avocado
Nova lox
Lump crab meat (shredded)
Boiled shrimp

I topped mine with a vinaigrette of EVOO, red wine vinegar, brown mud and ground black pepper.

Mom had hers with ranch and some capers.

Zardnaar

Legend

Greens: baby spinach, romaine, butter, red leaf
Green onion
Shredded Parmesan
Boiled egg
1/2 sliced avocado
Nova lox
Lump crab meat (shredded)
Boiled shrimp

I topped mine with a vinaigrette of EVOO, red wine vinegar, brown mud and ground black pepper.

Mom had hers with ranch and some capers.

Looks good and not even a crab fan.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
If I’m honest, I’d have been happier with 2 kinds of seafood- in any combination- but Mom prefers 3. Those 3.

One ingredient I forgot that I usually do with most seafood salad type options is tarragon flakes. Woulda rocked.

Fortunately, we having it again tomorrow!

Zardnaar

Legend
If I’m honest, I’d have been happier with 2 kinds of seafood- in any combination- but Mom prefers 3. Those 3.

One ingredient I forgot that I usually do with most seafood salad type options is tarragon flakes. Woulda rocked.

Fortunately, we having it again tomorrow!

Probably wouldn't eat a seafood salad by choice.

I remember being on holiday one day and wanting to eat. Mum said no there's food on the boat. We were going puttering around the Marlborough Sounds.

Lunch turned out to be seafood pizza. The boat owner was involved with mussel farming as well.

Went hungry that day.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads