Cookin again

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
As I’ve gotten older, I have found that even several foods on my “hate” list can be transformed into tasty dishes by someone who REALLY understands the ingredient.

Zardnaar

Legend
Was sick last week more or less lived on cereal and fruit. Nothing exciting cooked for a while.

IMG_20220402_102336.jpg

Got this for free out our local cinnamon roll. Served piping hot so the brown Suger and icing is all gooey.

IMG_20220405_182653.jpg

Creme brulee dessert from last night served with soft gingernut hot cookies.

And on the way out got this for free.
IMG_20220405_183907.jpg

Chocolate brownie.

With Covid basically avoid town and only go to one place now. Sunday breakfast, Monday coffee and Tuesday dinner.

Last night's burger.

IMG_20220405_180110.jpg

Last week's salad. Ate vegetarian for the week and cereal.

IMG_20220329_174710.jpg

Haloumi cheese, roast veggie salad, hummus and walnut.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Around here, I mainly get lamb as kebabs (middle eastern restaurants), roasts (holiday buffets), or the occasional chop (Brazilian churrascarias or middle eastern restaurants).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Experiment: Creole/Mediterranean sandwich

The sandwich:
1) 1/4lb Creole hot sausage patty from old family recipe (all beef)
2) Roasted Garlic sliced bread, toasted and drizzled with EVOO
3) babaganoush from a local restaurant (smoked, puréed eggplant spread)
4) tabouli from a local restaurant (diced parsley, EVOO, lemon juice, tomato, bulgar wheat, etc.)

Side: leftover linguine stroganoff

Results: the heat of the sausage played nicely with the smoky flavors of the babaganoush and the herbal acidity of the tabouli. I’m not COMPLETELY surprised- we traditionally pair this sausage on sandwiches with pickles and mayo- but the devil is always in the details. The spices in the individual ingredients could still have clashed.

Verdict: I wanted a second sandwich! But I wanted to leave the last patty for my Dad. I would SO eat this sandwich again. I would serve this to others. If I had a restaurant, I’d give it a test run there.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
Welp. Got COVID. Got sick, started to get better, then my sense of smell went wonky. Dammit. I can taste stuff, but most of the nuance is gone, and the only smells that get through are things like dishwasher detergent and mouthwash.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
Damn! I hope you recover soon, and with your senses intact!
I have some hope that since A) my case was relatively mild, B) my sense of taste seems mostly intact, and C) my sense of smell isn't completely gone, it will recover quickly and well. That may prove to be false hope, but false hope is better than none ...

Remove ads