• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cookin again

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
My stir fries recently got much better. I put in a little less garlic and a lot more ginger. The other stuff is about the same: mirin, lemon juice, soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, dried chili, sichuan peppercorns, black pepper, cardamom.
FWIW, mine are pedestrian at best, so I’m always looking to step things up. Know any good videos?

niklinna

satisfied?
FWIW, mine are pedestrian at best, so I’m always looking to step things up. Know any good videos?
Oh, I learned from books. But I did a quick search and found an interesting video. It shows 4 different ways to stir-fry the same dish.

Cooking in separate stages is important if you're cooking a big dish (like for a family). You never want to overload a wok all at once. I do the all-in-one method because I am cooking just for myself.

I do my basic veggie stir-fry like this:
  • I have a small Cantonese-style cast-iron wok and a gas stove. This isn't ideal, as the flames form a ring around the bottom, rather than making the lowest point the hottest, but you work with what you got. (A friend was going to make me a metal flame concentrator but she moved away.)
  • Heat up the pan and add peanut oil.
  • Add finely diced ginger/garlic/chilis and the denser things(carrots & cauliflower, for example) together first. Fry them in the oil for a minute or two, then add just a bit of sauce to give them some steam, and start stirring. Always add just a tiny bit of liquid at a time, otherwise it will cool down the pan and turn your stir-fry to a soggy mush.
  • Once the liquid has evaporated, add other things (broccoli, mushrooms). Fry them for a bit, then add the sauce a bit at a time and fry til it evaporates fully, and repeat 3–4 times or more. Very important to be stirring continually here. Any time during this, add a splash of toasted sesame oil (you should not add it earlier because it has a low smoke point.)
  • Add in ground black pepper & cardamom.
  • Finally add things you want to just get hot without breaking down too much (onions, tomatoes). Crank up the heat a bit. You'll know when it's done by the scent!
Sometimes I toss walnut halves in after the the carrots & cauliflower have been frying but before I add the sauce. I generally don't bother with tofu as I'm single and can't get through a pack quick enough!

I also found a video about pre-steaming carrots, cauliflower, and such, but the whole point of a stir fry to me is to have super-hot but crisp veggies, so that didn't make much sense to me. String beans are an exception, though, you would want to precook those a bit before frying them to a delightful light char.

One last thing: All the veggies should be dry when the go into the wok, even though you're going to add liquid later. Otherwise they get steamed too early and draw heat away just when it should be at its most intense.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Thank you!

Some of that I knew, but I’m definitely learning stuff here.

My biggest gear issue is I have to cook in a flat bottomed wok on an electric stovetop. Obviously, less than ideal.

niklinna

satisfied?
Thank you!

Some of that I knew, but I’m definitely learning stuff here.

My biggest gear issue is I have to cook in a flat bottomed wok on an electric stovetop. Obviously, less than ideal.
Yes that's a challenging situation for a stir-fry, fire is instant but an electric coil takes time to return to full heat once any has been drained out—say by adding things to the pan. Be sure to add sauce even more gradually.

Remove ads