Cookin again

416344487_757002083138551_8502431401660643142_n.jpg

I had some fantastic mushy peas (surprisingly) at a pub in Boston, Lincolnshire. Everything since then has been utterly mediocre. I have wondered if my enjoyment of the peas was influenced by (1) the fact that I was on my first full day of vacation, (2) the novelty of visiting my hometown's namesake, and (3) the pure joy I brought to an older fella at the pub when I tried and failed to put a pound in my jeans pocket three times in a row in less than a minute (fair play to him; there was no malice there — I would have laughed at me, too). His laugh was kind of magical.
It's hard to get good mushy peas, and most places where you buy them they're from #10 cans because it's not practical to make them properly.

If I make them, I use dried marrowfat peas soaked for 24hrs, rinsed, and simmered slowly in salted water for 4-5 hours. I then add lots of cracked black pepper (which you're not supposed to do), sugar (which you're not supposed to do), a knob of lard (which you're not supposed to do, but refried beans taught me just how important this ingredient is), a splash of lemon juice (which you're not supposed to do), and a sprinkle of Cayenne (which you're absolutely not supposed to do).

Zardnaar

Legend
It's hard to get good mushy peas, and most places where you buy them they're from #10 cans because it's not practical to make them properly.

If I make them, I use dried marrowfat peas soaked for 24hrs, rinsed, and simmered slowly in salted water for 4-5 hours. I then add lots of cracked black pepper (which you're not supposed to do), sugar (which you're not supposed to do), a knob of lard (which you're not supposed to do, but refried beans taught me just how important this ingredient is), a splash of lemon juice (which you're not supposed to do), and a sprinkle of Cayenne (which you're absolutely not supposed to do).

Horrific.

Kinda like Brussel sprouts.

Jahydin

Hero
I absolutely do make soups & stews at home! But even if I start with zero or low-sodium broths, I find that salt must almost inevitably be added.
Not too long ago I started to make my own Miso soup. A friend of mine gave me a dried fish he bought while on tour in Japan... which led me to buy a box shaver to make flakes... and down the rabbit hole I went...

Anyways, although tasty, the level of sodium was quite worrisome, especially if I wanted to make it a daily meal. Went to check if I was doing it right and found out the average daily sodium level in Japan is 10,000mg. Fascinating!

ScottDeWar_jr

second birthdate : 15 Dec 2011
I use to hate asparagus because it tasted bitter, but my brother crashed that hatred by cooking it wit rosemary, wrapping bacon around stalks, brushing olive oil on them and baking them.

Now I am getting ready to cook that myself

Remove ads