Cookin again

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
@Dannyalcatraz Clearly emphasis on the past tense.

Also, I don't know that I've had Burmese. Something like Thai or Indian maybe?
It’s a little like both while still being its own thing. If you like either, odds are good you’ll find something to like in a Burmese place. There are curries, uses of coconut milk in soups & sauces, different kinds of tofu...

Most of the food I’ve had there has been mild to moderately spicy, but I’ve had one or two that were definitely firebringers.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
It’s a little like both while still being its own thing. If you like either, odds are good you’ll find something to like in a Burmese place. There are curries, uses of coconut milk in soups & sauces, different kinds of tofu...

Most of the food I’ve had there has been mild to moderately spicy, but I’ve had one or two that were definitely firebringers.

We have good Thai and good Indian very near us. My wife says there used to be a Burmese (Myanmar-ish?) place in the next suburb she used to go to. That suburb has lots of recent-immigrant food (or did as recently as a couple years ago), but going out to restaurants to eat there is ... probably not high on our priority list at the moment.

It certainly sounds as though I'd be likely to find food to like.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
After 20 or so years, we’re buying new dinnerware,

Mom actually had an untouched box of our current set (Mikasa Studio Nova Sapphire) in the attic. She planned on swapping out the worst 4 place settings worth for the new. But when I unboxed and washed it, the difference in condition was glaring. Forget the accumulated minor scrapes.- the older stuff’s texture was rougher and the colors had faded significantly.

When I looked online for other place settings or just more single pieces, we decided we were better off selling the best of what we have and getting new. So we’re going with Noritake Colortrio Stax.

4396-16b.jpg

Over time, we’ll be picking up pieces from the whole set.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Mom’s dinner tonight:
vWGLQrQ.jpg

Chicken salad, tomatoes, avocado, pickled cauliflower, garlic-stuffed olives, sliced parrano cheese

My dinner tonight:
5kY1Cv7.jpg

Toasted roasted garlic bread topped with garlic-herbed D’affinois, radish sprouts, Campari tomatoes, prosciutto and ground black pepper; served with a sliced honeycrisp apple

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Beer-braised corned beef:

Before

After

RECIPE
1) Soak raw corned beef in water 24-36 hours to reduce saltiness.

2) Place meat in Dutch oven with enough beer to almost cover it completely. This one was 4lbs, and required 2 beers (Shiner Bock) in a 7.25qt pot to do the job.

3) season with the supplied seasoning packet liberally supplemented with cracked black pepper, thyme, and 4 bay leaves (in the beer)

4) Cook in oven at 350degF for 50min/lb.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
@Dannyalcatraz That sounds like a decent approach to corned beef. Thoughts, in no particular order: Shiner Bock seems like a decent choice--you certainly wouldn't want somehting intensely hops-focused. That post size seems familiar--Le Creuset, by any chance? Did you bake it covered or not?

the Jester

Legend
bluerice1.jpg
bluerice2.jpg
bluerice in curry.jpg

Sorry for the potato quality pics- my phone's camera is pretty messed up. Made blue rice last night, using no food coloring. It was beautiful. The color comes from (I am not making this up) clitoris flowers, which add basically no noticeable flavor to the dish. The rice kept its color even after soaking in curry broth. My mom couldn't stop gushing about how amazing it looked throughout dinner. You can get the flowers on Amazon, and they're pretty cheap. I stuffed a tea ball with them and steeped it in 2 cups of hot water, then used that to cook the rice. It's an easy way to really turn up a meal's appearance with minimal effort and expense.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Yep, that’s Le Creuset. Good eye!

The cooking was done covered.

I’ve done the corned beef with a few different, relatively mainstream beers, and they all seem to work. The first time I did it, I used Kirin. It was good, but salty...but that first time, I didn’t soak the meat first.

The results for this method are consistently moist & tender. I can’t recommend it enough. I have lived most of my life hating corned beef, only making it for my Mom, who loves the stuff. I steamed it, I baked it, etc. When I hit upon this idea and served it to her, she stopped after one bite and demanded I try it. I asked her what the problem was. She said that it was some of the best she’d ever had.

Remove ads