Cookin again

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The shredded chicken is what I got in Greece (Athens and the islands) and in most restaurants. I suspect the meatball variant is either Lebanese or a regional variant.

I have this wonderful Greek place near work - they do marvelous soups (not all of which are anywhere near Greek, but all are good). Their avgolemono uses meatballs.

When I made it the last time, I had a bit too much orzo, and it came out a tad thick. Absolutely nobody complained.

A risk when adding pasta or rice to any soup is the sideways step into a stew/soup hybrid. Stoup.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I wish I had a wonderful Greek place at all.:cry: One of the downsides of where I live is an almost non-existent restaurant selection. We have a couple of generic hotel kitchens, a greasy spoon, and a shawarma place. Thank god for shawarma or I'd living in hillbilly hell. I miss Indian take out so much. sad trombone

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Tip: we’ve had runs on all kinds of meat, and while availability is somewhat stabilized, there are still gaps that pop up. For example, the Vet wants our younger dog on a low fat chicken & rice diet...and breast meat is curry as rare as rice.

Fortunately, we have a big(ish) bag of rice to work from, but the meat?

Well, our solution is turkey. A generic brand turkey costs 69¢/lb, which is cheaper than chicken. And NOBODY is buying them, relatively speaking.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Coronovirus time (for those looking at this post years in the future). I was at Tescos, and the shelves were stripped bare. No bread, eggs, pasta, loo roll. Nothing. Empty shelves.

Until you get to the "American" section.

Yes, I know we don’t put staples like potatoes and bread and water and oxygen and apples and pasta and eggs and stuff in the American food section. It’s just a few easily imported and stored packaged brands to put in a corner of the supermarket. We understand you eat other things too. Geez, why do I have to say this in advance. Because I’ve met the Internet. You’ll still say it anyway.

D701DE61-DE06-4EB6-9E26-D396D7648220.jpeg
F89317A1-B3A0-422E-A184-73E5C42BDD43.jpeg
E81BFC08-4697-485F-8C70-3861E7D95DA5.jpeg
6D0D90DB-6334-42BC-A5A6-5F25431D2609.jpeg
44E81A6E-CF12-4CD6-BD78-364634982DA1.jpeg
D96C446C-DB6F-4B83-9A1A-E9B128C743F7.jpeg
8E9BBB53-23F4-4812-8836-A76D0D21A52A.jpeg

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I saw some pix from a Boston area grocery store with a soup section containing only untouched cans of Manhattan Clam Chowder.

It seems, “Yankees Suck!” isn’t just a rallying cry, it’s part of their DNA.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I saw some pix from a Boston area grocery store with a soup section containing only untouched cans of Manhattan Clam Chowder.

It seems, “Yankees Suck!” isn’t just a rallying cry, it’s part of their DNA.
I have no idea what that sentence means! Its like, it's almost English... but it's not? Regional terminology is a killer! :D

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Tonight’s dinner salad:

Spinach
Shredded dark meat turkey
Tomatoes
Carrots
Olives
Pickled Brussels sprouts
Chives
Parsley
Cracked black pepper
Tarragon vinegar
Mesquite infused EVOO

Ulfgeir

Hero
1584867932508.png

I made a homemade vegetable soup yesterday. Started with 2 cubes of store-brought broth, then added carrots, potatoes, leek, an onion. Seasoned it with red pepper corns, black pepper (should have been more), and a little bit of Californa Reaper-flavoured salt. Served with Crisp bread. If only I had had some cheese at home.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
That reminds me- I have cabbage to cook...

So far, our household’s second biggest challenge of the pandemic- after our younger dog’s health misadventures- has been getting Mom to do things like eat leftovers and not send people to the grocery store every couple of days.

I love her, but she presents some unique challenges.

Vael

Legend
Well, our solution is turkey. A generic brand turkey costs 69¢/lb, which is cheaper than chicken. And NOBODY is buying them, relatively speaking.

We did the same, though turkey wasn't as cheap here. Tried the turkey spatchcock, and it worked quite well. Took half the time it'd normally take to roast and came out nice and juicy.

Remove ads