Cookin again

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
In other news, I’m finding the toaster oven’s Bagel settings does a decent job of reheating leftovers at a decent speed without overcooking. My slab of leftover rare rib roast came out medium rare.

Also, tried mixing the creamy horseradish spread with Lebanese garlic sauce. This is a winning combination.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
@Dannyalcatraz That looks like a substantial and tasty meal. We use our toaster oven a lot, and we've also found that the bagel setting works well--though we tend to use it for English muffins.

Zardnaar

Legend
Very rarely cook steak, that's a treat for a dine out meal.

Dinner tonight was nothing to exciting. Cold winter this year so potatoe bake, sausages, spaghetti.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Doctor said I can't have any grains or legumes or carbs or sugar for a month (in addition to my wheat and dairy allergies.). So got creative. Using chia seeds for chocolate pudding and coconut milk instead of dairy. Zoodles (zuchinni noodles) instead of pasta. Sweet potato cakes, and Thai food.
Stuff like that.

Have to say I'm super pleasantly surprised. It all turned out really good.

Attachments

• IMG_20200629_182136_101.jpg
    IMG_20200629_182136_101.jpg
    923.4 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_20200630_192358_114.jpg
    IMG_20200630_192358_114.jpg
    656.2 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG_20200630_095607_521.jpg
    IMG_20200630_095607_521.jpg
    769.6 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_20200627_175634861.jpg
    IMG_20200627_175634861.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 370

Zardnaar

Legend
Doctor said I can't have any grains or legumes or carbs or sugar for a month (in addition to my wheat and dairy allergies.). So got creative. Using chia seeds for woukd chocolate pudding and coconut milk instead of dairy. Zoodles (zuchinni noodles) instead of pasta. Sweet potato cakes, and Thai food.
Stuff like that.

Have to say I'm super pleasantly surprised. It all turned out really good.

Think I would starve with no carbs.

D&D night think we're having a kebab.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Think I would starve with no carbs.

One of the drawbacks I found out was that I was getting really dizzy, couldn't concentrate, and had a headache. I thought it was because of no sugar. The doctor said nope, it's because without carbs, your body doesn't absorb salt nearly as well. So I had to increase my salt intake and drink fluids with electrolytes. problem solved. I had no idea lack of carbs impacted salt intake. But good news is that I lost 10lbs in 2 weeks :D Not that that was a goal, just a side benefit

Zardnaar

Legend
One of the drawbacks I found out was that I was getting really dizzy, couldn't concentrate, and had a headache. I thought it was because of no sugar. The doctor said nope, it's because without carbs, your body doesn't absorb salt nearly as well. So I had to increase my salt intake and drink fluids with electrolytes. problem solved. I had no idea lack of carbs impacted salt intake. But good news is that I lost 10lbs in 2 weeks :D Not that that was a goal, just a side benefit

I had to reduce my salt content. Went cold turkey on junk food for a couple of months and then vastly reduced the amount of salt after that.

Pizza once a month, burgers no fries etc. Then Covid landed and had to cancel doctor follow up.

2 weeks to drink 12 beers, 125 grams of chocolate bar week etc.

Wasn't eating a large amount of takeaways anyway but may have overdone the casual dining type meals.

the Jester

Legend
soup.jpg

Made a coconut milk based soup tonight. It has tomatoes, pineapple, sausage, water chestnuts, ginger, and some lime juice in there, with a pinch of saffron. It was pretty darn good. Wish I had had galangal to put in, though.

Remove ads