Cookin again

Zardnaar

Legend
Cheating here. Birthday dinner at favorite place.

IMG_20200718_182310.jpg

Washed down with APA, IPA and pilsner. Stupid $3 happy hour. Mate shouted me a cocktail, IPA, tequila (double) and lime. Two bigass patties cheese, token lettuce.

And dessert.

IMG_20200718_191813.jpg

Chocolate cookie in hot skillet with boysenberry icecream.

Place was packed, busier than pre Covid they were saying.

Zardnaar

Legend
There’s a time to celebrate, and NZ seems to have earned it.

It's weiRd wife works for our biggest freight company.

They're busier than last year. One of our retail chains are saying they're as busy as Christmas.

There's been some job losses but it's like everyone's gone mad spending up. Shoes supposed to drop, I think it's retail/booze therapy.

IDK maybe we're not expecting good times to last so drink!!!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Definitely consumer therapy. Probably also mixed with some apprehension that things could go bad again in just a few months. You know- get what you can while you can.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Dinner tonight!
OpSfoDY.jpg

Quiche Loraine; prosciutto & Boursin on toasted roasted garlic bread; sliced Opal apple; romaine & spinach salad with castelvetrano olives, San Marzano tomatoes, diced carrots, shaved grand cru cheese olive oil, tarragon vinegar, black pepper, sea salt, and chives

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Our houseguest took advantage of a coupon and brought home a tray of 20 fried chicken tenders. I might take the opportunity to try out some different sauces with them, either as dipping sauces or as condiments for sandwiches.

The first to spring to mind would be the glaze I use for my Sweet Hot Chicken: a mix of melted butter, honey, cinnamon, paprika and cayenne pepper.

I might also dust off the combo of Lebanese garlic sauce and creamy horseradish.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Our houseguest took advantage of a coupon and brought home a tray of 20 fried chicken tenders. I might take the opportunity to try out some different sauces with them, either as dipping sauces or as condiments for sandwiches.

The first to spring to mind would be the glaze I use for my Sweet Hot Chicken: a mix of melted butter, honey, cinnamon, paprika and cayenne pepper.

I might also dust off the combo of Lebanese garlic sauce and creamy horseradish.
...and I did have a chicken tender sandwich with the honey sauce. It came out as I expected- tasty as hell!

The core of the sauce itself is easy, just equal parts melted butter and honey. The seasoning is a matter of personal taste. I eyeballed this batch to be about equal parts of each of the three, just a few shakes directly from a shaker- enough to see.

The leftovers from making my sandwich looked like this:

It wasn’t as spicy as I’ve made it in the past. And since I was using it as a condiment on a relatively cool sandwich as opposed to a glaze on chicken being cooked in the oven, the fragrance of the cinnamon was largely absent.

Vael

Legend
Made pizzas from scratch tonight. I make them freeform, which means they end up pretty weirdly shaped. Have to work on getting them cleanly onto the pizza stone. Still, they ended up pretty tasty.

Remove ads