Cookin again

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
@Dannyalcatraz I'd be interested in those sausage recipes, if the offer stands. The idea of making chubs in freezer bags appeals--I'm at least as likely to use sausage out of the casings as in.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The Pickle Hunt May Be Over!
4oNByHN.jpg

Our family fell in love with Nathan’s Kosher Dill pickles: crisp, dill but not too dill, big. Then they disappeared from our stores.

Then Carnegie Deli pickles appeared, and we thought they were every bit as good. But 18 months later, they, too, vanished.

I did some investigation, and found both had supposedly been made by the same small family company, and contacted them. The owner responded to my email himself, and confirmed they made both brands...using the exact same recipe. Alas, their products were not available in Texas.

We’ve been looking for a replacement for years now, and keep finding good pickles that weren’t quite up to snuff: too floppy, too spicy, some kind of odd flavor...

But today, we found and tried Bubbies. Nice dill flavor. Crisp texture. They’re a little smaller than the Nathan’s/Carnegie pickles, with just a hint of heat. The search may be over.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
@Dannyalcatraz I'd be interested in those sausage recipes, if the offer stands. The idea of making chubs in freezer bags appeals--I'm at least as likely to use sausage out of the casings as in.
I can’t give out the hot sausage one- that’s commercial and a secret.

Our pork sausage is less of a recipe and more of a piece of performance art. When you make most sausages, you need a certain amount of fat or it won’t hold its shape. We couldn’t find ground pork, so we ground up a pork loin chub and added vegetable oil.* Spices were salt, black pepper, powdered garlic, green onion, parsley, mustard powder and a single finely diced (puréed, really) jalapeño. There was also 1 cup of water per 5lbs of meat.

As I was taught, I pre-mix my spices. Then I gradually work the spices and water into the ground pork mix BY HAND and try to get an even mix without oversqueezing the meat. Too much manipulation messes up the texture. (This is one of the trickier bits.)

Like I said, we make chubs instead of stuffing casings these days. It saves us a step, and stuffing and tying off is more difficult than you’d think. This means we’re not tossing them on the grill.

But with a chub, it’s easier to make into patties, add to soups & casseroles, integrate into meatloaves, etc. You also don’t have to worry about the kind of casings you’re using.

* if I checked out a sausage making site, and they’d probably recommend something more like lard or shortening.**

** Edit: just looked- a lot of the posters claim you can get cheap or free pork fat from butchers. In general, they were aiming for @20%-30 fat in the sausage, 15% for lean. Some also suggested grinding up some bacon to include in the mix. Most recommended butt over loin, because it’s already fatty enough to use.

Last edited:

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Lol watched a video yesterday that recommend Baby Rays BBQ sauce.

I want to experiment with mixing horse-radish and chipotle at some point... I have no idea how it will turn out. For the horse-radish one, that Baby Rays is pretty good. The BBq is good too, but I don't know if I'd mix it with anything.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
These are our generic store bought sauces we use. Mostly on home made burgers, fries or on home made pretend Turkish.
View attachment 126265

We've got some other ones but these are the basic ones.
I bet that garlic aoli is similar to the lebanese garlic spread I either buy or occasionally make myself. It’s essentially an emulsion of raw garlic in vegetable (not olive) oil, with a bit of salt and pepper added by some.

A local family sells a variant on that at the Farmers’ Market- they include pureed basil in it. It looks a bit like guacamole or wasabi.

The original and their variant are both great on sandwiches that are heavy on things like salami or ham.

And I like the original with all kinds of beef, lamb or chicken dishes.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
We’re condiment junkies. Dad buys huge hard of mayonnaise. There’s 3-4 different mustards in our fridge right now. A half dozen different salad dressings. Catsup. Cocktail sauce. Lebanese garlic spread. Creamy Horseradish. Chinese hot oil. 2 different bbq sauces. Soy. Teriyaki. Sriracha. Tabasco. Chili sauce. Maple syrup. Honey. Agave nectar. Chocolate syrup. Jellies & jams.

And not all of it is store bought...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases