Cookin again

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
2XaBk55.jpg

The crab cakes, cocktail sauce and tartar sauce are all from Whole Foods. The cake on the left was pricier- made with lump blue crab- and had a better texture, but their flavors were both fairly similar. The pricier one did have a better finish.

Nobody was that impressed either the sauces, however. They were OK , but the cocktail sauce had an odd hint of sweetness, while the tartar sauce lacked dill- both as a seasoning and relish (which was completely absent). Bookbinder’s cocktail sauce has more horseradish kick and depth of flavor, and doesn’t have that sweetness. And a traditional tartar sauce’s crunchy dill relish was missed.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
Nobody was that impressed either the sauces, however. They were OK , but the cocktail sauce had an odd hint of sweetness, while the tartar sauce lacked dill- both as a seasoning and relish (which was completely absent). Bookbinder’s cocktail sauce has more horseradish kick and depth of flavor, and doesn’t have that sweetness. And a traditional tartar sauce’s crunchy dill relish was missed.
Where did the sauces come from? Whole Foods as well?

I ... make my own seafood sauces, a cocktail-ish thing and a bastardized remoulade, when I need them. Since it's almost always (even in the Before Time) just Sara and me, I don't make them all-the-way from scratch--that's way too much; the recipes I have make like a third-cup, which is about perfect for two people.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Where did the sauces come from? Whole Foods as well?

I ... make my own seafood sauces, a cocktail-ish thing and a bastardized remoulade, when I need them. Since it's almost always (even in the Before Time) just Sara and me, I don't make them all-the-way from scratch--that's way too much; the recipes I have make like a third-cup, which is about perfect for two people.
Yeah. Some brand they carry. I definitely make a better tartar sauce. And if I had horseradish on hand, I’m sure I could top theirs as well.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter

Felt like having some CNS today, but couldn’t find all the standard ingredients in my fridge or pantry. So I made do with what I had:

I don’t buy long pastas, so I used cavatappi, which I cooked directly in the broth. I also added bullion for a deeper flavor.

Veggies were some green onions, carrots, celery, bamboo shoots and radish, added just as the noodles were just getting done. Parsley flakes were also added.

After that, I added a couple of whisked eggs (seasoned with salt and pepper) drizzled into the broth slowly and turned off the heat. A few stirs to mix, and it was ready to eat.

But what about the chicken?

Well, I was out of fresh or canned chicken. So I took some Boar’s Head golden classic sliced chicken cold cuts, cut it into little strips. Then I simply put the strips into the serving bowl and ladled the soup over them. Doing this prevented the chicken from disintegrating during cooking.

Garnish was a bit of garlic sprouts.

I actually used too much noodle & veg, so it looks heaped in the picture, but I assure you there’s a tasty broth below. It was slightly under seasoned, but a couple shakes of garlic salt fixed that.

For something thrown together, it came out OK. The veggies still had some crunch, even. But I need to intensify my broth flavor next time.

Zardnaar

Legend
Tonight's game night. Went back to same place as last week.

One if my players ordered a honey chicken. It's was nice but to sweet. Mate liked it but probably wouldn't order again.

IMG_20210317_174323.jpg

Fried chicken was beautiful sauce eh.

For my dish I ordered a Spicy Chongqing Chicken. No idea what it was.

IMG_20210317_174546.jpg

It was quite nice but tiny bits of chicken with the bone in it. Just annoying to eat but tasted good. Wouldn't order again in a hurry just get something else. Chilli sauce was great added to it.

Wife had last week's satay. She'll keep eating that until she finds something I have that she likes better.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I’ve noticed that some cuisines not only favor different FLAVORS, but textures & cuts as well. More than once, I’ve had dishes that had what I’d consider oddly cut bones. Or more bones than I felt like messing with for fish.

I have had “authentic” Asian food a couple of times here in Texas, always in places where the head cook had an impressive resume from back home, and the clientele was Asian-centric. They had Americanized food, which was our usual go-to, but they also had native language menus westerners didn’t usually get to see.

In one, I had a seafood udon that included things like sea cucumber, and learned that I don care for that critter’s texture. In another, I had the soft shelled crab.

Now, I’ve had soft shelled crab more than once in my life, and I do like it. So when I found out this place served it- I saw several Asian families wolfkng down piles of them- I ordered some myself. They looked different from what I usually got served- almost chocolatey brown as opposed to golden- but I put that down to batter.

NOPE!

They cooked those soft shelled crabs until they were almost like jerky! The flavor was good, but the texture... Tasty, yeah, but my jaw was physically tired by the time I finished chewing my crab.

Zardnaar

Legend
Yeah I think our "Chinese" food is American. You can find authentic as well.

Mist if our Turkish isn't authentic. Turkish pizza is great but it's not really pizza as such.

Shared a bag of these this week with the group. Last week tried them and liked them.
IMG_20210318_005237.jpg

This week they were great.

Zardnaar

Legend
Got lazy and the pub/restaurant in my suburb was right there.

IMG_20210318_180743.jpg

Garlic flatbread starter with hummus.

IMG_20210318_182157.jpg

Some sort of Gnocchi dish. I sampled it and it was nice. Wife quite liked it.

IMG_20210318_182203.jpg

I went for the burger. Brioche bun, onion relish, some sort of sauce, gherkin and that slice of "bacon" is a slice of smoked cheese. One of the best burgers I've ever had. Delicious cheeseburger.

IMG_20210318_185146.jpg

Lemon creme brulee with gingernut biscuits. Quite nice wife enjoyed it.

IMG_20210318_185151.jpg

Here we have a baked desert called apple crumble. It's like stewed apple with baked oats topping. This was an Otago summer fruit crumble. Apple, peach and apricot.

Remove ads