Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Nice!

This is what I made for St. Patrick’s Day:

Corned beef braised in Kirin beer

Cabbage with bacon, onions & carrots

Unfortunately, I started my braising too late for it to be ready for dinner, so we’ll be having it tomorrow...along with some oven roasted Yukon gold potatoes. (Got a taste of both tonight before putting the food in the fridge.)

Dad will be getting the first meal out of it, though- I made him a Reuben for lunch tomorrow. Instead of fully assembling it, I put the sauerkraut in a ziplock and the thousand island in a spice vial, so only the Swiss cheese and beef are on the bread right now, wrapped in food service film. Everything is boxed up in a Tupperware container, complete with a set of plastic flatware (for assembly) and a napkin.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Nice!

This is what I made for St. Patrick’s Day:

Corned beef braised in Kirin beer

Cabbage with bacon

Unfortunately, I started my braising too late for it to be ready for dinner, so we’ll be having it tomorrow...along with some oven roasted Yukon gold potatoes. (Got a taste of both tonight before putting the food in the fridge.)

Dad will be getting the first meal out of it, though- I made him a Reuben for lunch tomorrow. Instead of fully assembling it, I put the sauerkraut in a ziplock and the thousand island in a spice vial, so only the Swiss cheese and beef are on the bread right now, wrapped in food service film. Everything is boxed up in a Tupperware container, complete with a set of plastic flatware (for assembly) and a napkin.

Looks good but I can't eat cooked cabbage. Haven't enjoyed sauerkraut ever and got fed boiled cabbage as a kid.

I'll eat it raw quite happily.

Beef looks good.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Thanks!
If you like raw cabbage, let me share this slaw recipe with you. It’s from a place called Vincent’s, a Greek restaurant that was a Dallas institution for 80+ years. And this was one of their most popular dishes. I’d drive 30 minutes across town to their last location to get this stuff.

Vincent’s Cole Slaw
Vincent's Famous Garlic Coleslaw

Ingredients
Serves 8
  • 1 medium head green cabbage, finely shredded
  • 3 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1/3 cup grapeseed oil
  • 1/3 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon white sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon celery seed
  • Prep15 m
  • Ready In1 h 15 min
Assembly:

Place shredded cabbage into a large bowl. Gather chopped garlic into a mound on a cutting board and pour salt over top. Using the flat side of a chef's knife, smash the garlic and salt together and transfer to a bowl. Whisk grapeseed oil, mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, ground paprika, ground white pepper, sugar, and celery seed together with garlic mixture until dressing reaches a uniform consistency.
Pour dressing over shredded cabbage and toss to evenly coat. Press coleslaw down into the bowl using the back of a spoon or place another bowl on top. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Stir before serving.

Footnotes
Cook's Note:
  • Canola oil or peanut oil can be substituted for grapeseed oil. A sugar substitute like stevia works great.
  • You absolutely MUST use fresh garlic for this slaw. I tried using pre-minced garlic from a jar, and my slaw simply didn’t have the right flavor...until I added fresh minced garlic.
Nutrition Facts

Per Serving: 182 calories; 16.5 g fat; 8.2 g carbohydrates; 1.8 g protein; 3 mg cholesterol; 434 mg sodium.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
Do you use a knife to mince your garlic, or some other tool? Given that you're mashing it into a paste, I might be tempted to use a Microplane or something similar. If the salt is needed for salt reasons, you could always add it separately.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I buy pre-minced, too. But like I said, this recipe requires the extra kick of fresh-minced garlic. The first time I made this, I went through 90% of a new jar and still didn’t get the right flavor. A few minced fresh cloves and I was in business.

And basically, I do the mincing with a knife & cutting board. A grater or a mini-processor would work, too. It doesn’t need to be puréed. Having those tiny bits of fresh garlic gives it a punch that puréed garlic wouldn’t.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
What's Lenten and tilapia?

Lent and some sort of fish?
Tilapia is a kind of fish that is commonly farmed (at least, as a proportion of what one finds in the US). IIRC, it's a pretty mild-flavored fish.

And as you guessed, "Lenten" is the adjective of "Lent." During Lent, Roman Catholics (among others) don't eat meat on Fridays. Fish is not-meat, under those rules (for most denominations).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases