Cookin again

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Between the large order of onion rings, the mushroom burger with grilled onions, and the beer I had for dinner Wednesday night, mi digestive tract was in full gas production mode. I knew I was going to be unpleasant company, but my older DOG came halfway into my room, stopped, and left without so much as asking for an ear scratch, Didn’t see her again until she had to go out post-midnight,

Tonight I was much more reasonable, and just had the newest thing on my favorite Columbian joint’s menu: the chicharron caribeño plate, with pork chop & skin, plantains, rice, corn cake, beans, and a salad of avocado and tomatoes. Plus one brisket empanada. I actually didn’t finish the meal, it was so freakishly large,

Zardnaar

Legend
Between the large order of onion rings, the mushroom burger with grilled onions, and the beer I had for dinner Wednesday night, mi digestive tract was in full gas production mode. I knew I was going to be unpleasant company, but my older DOG came halfway into my room, stopped, and left without so much as asking for an ear scratch, Didn’t see her again until she had to go out post-midnight,

Tonight I was much more reasonable, and just had the newest thing on my favorite Columbian joint’s menu: the chicharron caribeño plate, with pork chop & skin, plantains, rice, corn cake, beans, and a salad of avocado and tomatoes. Plus one brisket empanada. I actually didn’t finish the meal, it was so freakishly large,

Lol would try both if those except the pork chops.

IMG_20210408_174515.jpg

Grilled chicken base in a spinach wrap. It's actually green.

IMG_20210408_174705.jpg

And then with everything else added.

Bit of a disaster tonight forgot half of everything and then spelt the milk everywhere.

Zardnaar

Legend
Breakfast

Blueberry and yoghurt pancakes.

IMG_20210411_094911.jpg

Fries (shared). With aioli.

IMG_20210411_094949.jpg

And a local speciality. The humble cheese roll. As it says has onion in it.

IMG_20210411_095149.jpg

Washed down with a flat white coffee.

Zardnaar

Legend
I’m a coffee barbarian. What’s a flat white?

Apparently we invented it.

It's kind of like a latte but not very frothy. More just milk and coffee. And it's stronger.

Going away for ANZAC day. Breakfast joint, Greek and Mongolian bbq lined up to try.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
A friend of mine sent me a link to a THREE HOUR youtube video of Jacques Pépin demonstrating a bunch of basic professional kitchen techniques. I’m about 45 minutes into it, and can say that if you haven‘t had formal culinary training or worked in a professional kitchen, you WILL learn something.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
I remember he could debone a chicken (at least the ribs and spine and stuff) in like fifteen seconds.

I've done a very little bit of food work, but my knife skills are as crap as it's possible for them to be without my being a danger to myself.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I remember he could debone a chicken (at least the ribs and spine and stuff) in like fifteen seconds.

I've done a very little bit of food work, but my knife skills are as crap as it's possible for them to be without my being a danger to myself.
You need to work on your knife skills. I’m definitely made enough progress to be a danger to myself! 🤪

For example, I KNOW the basics of how to properly hold the knife and kerping your other hand out from under the blade. But somehow, my fingers inevitably start to straighten out as I begin to work faster, and I narrowly avoid taking a chunk out of myself.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Spent 5 years with filleting knife never cut myself.

Don't cut myself at home wife does occasionally.

Basically unless I'm wearing a cut proof glove I slow down.

Remove ads