Cookin again

Zardnaar

Legend
Blueberry waffles, bacon, ice cream, honeycomb butter banana Bit much for my preferences. It was nice but probably wouldn't get again.

IMG_20210426_101421.jpg

Mushroom thing probably a local influence.

Think I'm regretting things now.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
“THURSDAY SOUP”

I.O.W., soup made from leftovers, so named because my paternal Grandmother would clean out the fridge on Thursday nights by serving up all the leftovers...whatever they were.

In this case, the broth is stock made from cooking chicken breast for our dogs.

There’s green onion, celery, spinach, portobellos, mushrooms, garlic cloves, fresh parsley, an egg, and some diced smoked sausage. Seasonings include salt, pepper, bay leaf, tarragon and lemon juice. I added a little extra powdered chicken bouillon. I garnished it with radish sprouts.

It came out OK, but it could have been better. And I know ways I could have improved it. For instance, I SHOULD have sautéed my onions & garlic, but forgot. Similarly, I didn’t have much sausage, and if I had browned it, it would have intensified the flavors quite a bit. Doing it over, I’d reduce the celery to a single single stalk, while doubling the amount of green onion.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter

Had Nepalese food for the first time today from a tiny little place called Cafe Mandu in Irving,TX. The menu (above) is small, but there’s still respectable variety.

My two previous attempts to try the cuisine were thwarted by running out of food (at a different restaurant) and the C19 lockdown.

But today, I was in the neighborhood and was able to snag some steamed pork momos and some fried fritters to go. Washed them down with some nice lemonade.

Verdict: everything was tasty and definitely worthy of further experiences! I’ll be going back, and I’ll probably give some of the other, bigger Nepalese places a try as well.

Zardnaar

Legend

Had Nepalese food for the first time today from a tiny little place called Cafe Mandu in Irving,TX. The menu (above) is small, but there’s still respectable variety.

My two previous attempts to try the cuisine were thwarted by running out of food (at a different restaurant) and the C19 lockdown.

But today, I was in the neighborhood and was able to snag some steamed pork momos and some fried fritters to go. Washed them down with some nice lemonade.

Verdict: everything was tasty and definitely worthy of further experiences! I’ll be going back, and I’ll probably give some of the other, bigger Nepalese places a try as well.

Looks nice would try. Everything on the menu looks nice, dumplings and curry are all good.

Dumplings look similar to the Georgian (Caucasus) ones.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Tried something I’ve seen on a few cooking shows by adding a little powdered chicken bouillon to the seasoning for my baby Yukon golds.

Came out pretty good. Good enough for me to continue experimenting with it.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
Tried something I’ve seen on a few cooking shows by adding a little powdered chicken bouillon to the seasoning for my baby Yukon golds.

Came out pretty good. Good enough for me to continue experimenting with it.
This is seasoning the spuds for roasting or some other dry cooking method?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
This is seasoning the spuds for roasting or some other dry cooking method?
I cut them to the desired size, then tossed them with a garlic-infused EVOO and seasonings like black pepper, parsely, and the aforementioned powdered bouillon. I used a heaping teaspoon of it- about leveled 1.5-2tsp.

I then placed them in an 8x8 nonstick brownie pan, and checkerboarded the top with shavings of unsalted butter. I baked them in my preheated toaster oven at 450f for 10 minutes. I took them out, then tossed them, and gave them another 10 at that heat, and I repeated that one more time.

Because I skipped the parboiling prep step I usually use, most of the potatoes didn’t really develop a crispy outer layer.* But they were quite tasty.

* I also skipped the step of sprinkling them with shredded cheese when they came out of the oven. And cooking them in the regular oven spread out on a cookie sheet would probably also have improved the crust.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
On the plus side I know what yukon golds are. Idk if one can get them here.

Agria gold here and we get kumara on occasion.
I don’t know about flavor, but I’ve been told that any of the other yellow skinned potatoes will have similar cooking characteristics.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
I cut them to the desired size, then tossed them with a garlic-infused EVOO and seasonings like black pepper, parsely, and the aforementioned powdered bouillon. I used a heaping teaspoon of it- about leveled 1.5-2tsp.

I then placed them in an 8x8 nonstick brownie pan, and checkerboarded the top with shavings of unsalted butter. I baked them in my preheated toaster oven at 450f for 10 minutes. I took them out, then tossed them, and gave them another 10 at that heat, and I repeated that one more time.

Because I skipped the parboiling prep step I usually use, most of the potatoes didn’t really develop a crispy outer layer.* But they were quite tasty.

* I also skipped the step of sprinkling them with shredded cheese when they came out of the oven. And cooking them in the regular oven spread out on a cookie sheet would probably also have improved the crust.
Ah. So, mostly-dry. I guess if one had something like Better Than Bouillon, one could plausibly whisk that into your seasoning mix. Being that I keep that around (for making pan sauces) I'd probably try that.

I agree with your thinking that spreading them out more, such as on a half-sheet pan, would likely have made for crustier potatoes. I'd think parboiling would be more likely to matter for the interior texture than for a crust, but I know it does something similar for like pan-fried potatoes, so I'm probably missing something.

Remove ads