Cookin again

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The parboil with salt & baking soda roughens up the surface of the potato at a near-microscopic level. Then you quickly drain the pot and dry the potatoes in the emptied cooking pan, stirring constantly- it rakes a minute or two.

After the parboil & dry, the potatoes will look almost...fuzzy. That’s beca all those mini-abrasions are juuuuust too small to see clearly.

Then you bake them according to your usual method.

And those abraded surfaces will crisp up like magic!

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
Y'all ever make something after like a couple years, and find yourself wondering why you stopped making it? That was our experience today, with Pork Chili with Vanishing Apples. I mean, it took two and a half hours of work before it was actually cooking, but it's crazy delicious.

Zardnaar

Legend
Eggplant didn't work. Threw about half of the wrap out.

IMG_20210503_175753.jpg

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Y'all ever make something after like a couple years, and find yourself wondering why you stopped making it? That was our experience today, with Pork Chili with Vanishing Apples. I mean, it took two and a half hours of work before it was actually cooking, but it's crazy delicious.
Yeah, all the time.

Sometimes, it’s because of changing taste preferences, sometimes it’s the amount of work. Sometimes I can’t get the ingredients.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
Yeah, all the time.

Sometimes, it’s because of changing taste preferences, sometimes it’s the amount of work. Sometimes I can’t get the ingredients.
We moved about two years ago, and as we were making it, we realized we hadn't made it in our current place, at all. I suspect the amount of work is part of it.

Zardnaar

Legend
Took an idea from the Dannyalcatraz school of thought.

Came home with3 cheeses. Aged cheddar, smoked and feta.

Think I need new parmesan.

Zardnaar

Legend
Been eating reasonably simple good last week or so. Love that oatmeal.

IMG_20210504_120814.jpg

Lunch bacon and egg pie. It was served with tomato relish. Best B&E pie I've ever had I think delicious. Gave into temptation when I made a booking for mother's day there.

Dinner tonight.

IMG_20210504_175241.jpg

Made some chicken tenders with a potato bake and salad.

Marinaded the chicken and a herb sauce for the potato bake with cheese, bacon and powdered chipotle.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Took an idea from the Dannyalcatraz school of thought.

Came home with3 cheeses. Aged cheddar, smoked and feta.

Think I need new parmesan.

This is a handy resource for scouting out cheeses:

I was never a big fan of Parmesan...until I had a really good one.

If you can’t find one, Parrano is a gouda family cheese that has a similar flavor to Parmesan. It melts well, and can be used in a variety of ways. I often shred it on tomato-based or garlicky sauces, and I al use it in charcuterie boards.

Merlot Bellavitano is another cheese that I use in similar ways.

Zardnaar

Legend
This is a handy resource for scouting out cheeses:

I was never a big fan of Parmesan...until I had a really good one.

If you can’t find one, Parrano is a gouda family cheese that has a similar flavor to Parmesan. It melts well, and can be used in a variety of ways. I often shred it on tomato-based or garlicky sauces, and I al use it in charcuterie boards.

Merlot Bellavitano is another cheese that I use in similar ways.

I'll try mst things, feta, camembert and brie is the easily available stuff.

I'm not a massive fan if parmesan either. My sister in law is nuts for it and a local pizza place puts it in shakers for garlic bread.

I used it in a crumbed coating for chicken that was tasty. I like it but not going to go out of the way to eat it.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'll try mst things, feta, camembert and brie is the easily available stuff.

I'm not a massive fan if parmesan either. My sister in law is nuts for it and a local pizza place puts it in shakers for garlic bread.

I used it in a crumbed coating for chicken that was tasty. I like it but not going to go out of the way to eat it.
Usually, the stuff in shakers is low quality Parmesan. Shaved, grated or large crumbles of Parm reveals the true quality. Good Parm will have a complex flavor the cheaper stuff can’t touch.

Remove ads