Cookin again

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I was a tad clumsy in the kitchen, so I look like I was a little too near a good fight. But the food itself came out good. Our (small number of vaccinated) guests enjoyed their meals thoroughly. This made me feel pretty cool because we were doing a few things that we don’t normally do. Hell...the only dishes that were COMMON in our repertoire were the potato & egg salad and the apple blitz dessert.

Originally, we were going to be doing a rib roast (in the oven) with grilled chicken thighs & breasts as the two main entrees. And we were going to serve ciabatta rolls. Well, the rib roast in my freezer had been there longer than I realized. A LOT longer. Didn’t want to chance it, so I put it on the list and went to the grocery...

...where someone had bought the last 40 ciabatta rolls 30 min prior, they had NO rib roasts at all, and no chicken thighs either. The breasts I found were HUGE! I bought the 3 smallest packs I could find, each containing 2. The smallest was @$4, but the others were $7. The BIG packs were $9+, the equivalent of adding one small breast to a $7 packet. I’d have bought those, but I couldn’t see a way to serve them to single attendees. Each could potentially have fed 2 people.

And to replace the rib roast? Well, that’s how we wound up doing the Creole roast beef sandwiches. Because of time pressure, I couldn’t cook the beef from scratch, so I picked up 2lbs of Boar’s Head London Broil, sandwich sliced. That meat was then slowed to soak in a nice warm bath of brown gravy, then served on some mini French rolls, toasted & buttered, topped with with your choice of cheeses (Swiss, dill havarti, smoked gruyere, or smoked Gouda), sautéed onions, and condiments like Mayo, garlic aioli, or creamy horseradish.

Said sandwiches were tasty as hell, but definitely lacked structural stability. (The rolls had slightly rounded bottoms, so the sandwiches had a slight tendency to roll over and have their contents slide off.)

Also did a garlic cole slaw based on a recipe from a local restaurant. I’m not a fan of cole slaw in general, but THIS stuff is so crunch and garlicky that I’d drive across a county line to get it. (Not exaggerating.) So I learned to make it after they shuttered after almost 90 years.

I may post pix later...

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Here’s a gallery of the Mother’s Day food:

I learned a trick eating the leftovers: instead of slicing the buns all the way through on those oh-so-messy beef sandwiches, I left the top & bottom attached. Then I served and ate them sideways, like a chili cheese dog. DUH!

Zardnaar

Legend
Game night just tried a burger joint to make a change from Chinese/Turkish.

It was nice enough but had these amazing cheese and jalapeno poppers. Burger was pretty good.

But next door was a Indo Nepalese place with Momo's. Guess what I'm gonna try hopefully next week hopefully.....

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Man, I haven’t had jalapeño poppers in years! The last time I did was shortly before my cousin- who worked at the place I usually got them- told me not to eat there again.

Seems that, while he and his manager took cleanliness seriously, he wasn’t so sure about his coworkers...

Zardnaar

Legend
Man, I haven’t had jalapeño poppers in years! The last time I did was shortly before my cousin- who worked at the place I usually got them- told me not to eat there again.

Seems that, while he and his manager took cleanliness seriously, he wasn’t so sure about his coworkers...

Yeah they're uncommon here not many places do them.

One of the burgers has them in it. Southern fried chicken with poppers. I told wife to get that she likes chicken more than me. She got a cheese burger and was semi disappointed.

The patties were small, mate got double bbq meat and loved it mine had more filling kiwi burger with egg and pineapple.

They also had a butter chicken pizza. Interesting menu anyway.

They also did a Morocco burger which looks like a spicy lamb one and a triple one had lamb, beef and pork.

NZ burgers lol if it's meat it's probably in a burger as some places do venison as well.

Zardnaar

Legend
Last night's menu.

IMG_20210513_172548.jpg

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Turns out they have a website.

The pizza menu. Are these weird by American standards? Some are similar.

Well, anything with pineapple that isn’t a straightforward Hawaiian pizza- canadian bacon, pineapple, cheese, and not much else- is going to be unusual as a standard recipe in an American pizzeria.

My closest place has Indian pizzas (probably because they’re owned & operated by an Indian family), but that’s extremely rare. They’re the only place in the D/FW Metroplex that has them on the menu, AFAIK. That‘s in an area of 4+ counties, a couple dozen cities & suburbs, and millions of people. I know that some Indian (and others from that region) will drive 45+ minutes to get the Indian pizzas. (They’re not just rare, they’re good.)

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
There's a place near me that does a couple of Indian pizzas, and actually uses like a different flatbread thing for those than for their other pizzas.

While I like pineapple on pizza (and we usually add something to Hawaiian pizza when we get it) I agree it's unusual to see a menu configuration featuring it, that's not Hawaiian.

Ulfgeir

Hero
Today's lunch: baked potatoes and salad.. Just mashing the potatoes and letting lots of butter melt into them and add a sallad-spice on it.

Attachments

• IMG_20210514_140609.jpg
    IMG_20210514_140609.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 66

Remove ads