Cookin again

Zardnaar

Legend
In the USA, back when Iran became more theocratic, a lot of Iranians and their businesses started describing themselves as “Persian.” That continues to this day, too. i haven’t found any “Iranian” places, but definitely a few with “Persian“ cuisine.

Same here, I found that Prone of Persia place. It was more Afghani lol.

I've found places run by Moroccan, Egyptian, Syrian, Lebanonese Kuwaiti and they're slightly different. Lebanese was around a few years back with several places but they've closed down.

Basically if one likes Turkish Kebabs it's not a huge leap to other ME foods as they all use charcoal grills and chick peas.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
I'm tempted to try goat. I don't think I've tried goat.
In my experience there's not a lot of difference, at least in curries, other than that (at the restaurants I've been to) goat almost always has bones, and lamb almost never does. That's not a big shock, considering how closely-related sheep and goats are--it's my understanding that at archaeological digs, they don't even try to tell whether bones are sheep or lamb.

Zardnaar

Legend
In my experience there's not a lot of difference, at least in curries, other than that (at the restaurants I've been to) goat almost always has bones, and lamb almost never does. That's not a big shock, considering how closely-related sheep and goats are--it's my understanding that at archaeological digs, they don't even try to tell whether bones are sheep or lamb.

Lamb shanks and chops are a thing here and that's served on the bone.

Generally don't eat it with the exception of Turkish meals.

Vael

Legend
So, has anyone tried Keto bakes? A friend helped me out, and I'm thinking of baking them something Keto-friendly as a thank you, just curious if there's any recipes here that have worked well and any pitfalls.

Zardnaar

Legend
That’s not something I’ve tried.

You're not missing much. Lamb chips well done with mint sauce a mainstay of NZ 1980's meals.

Blech there's a reason I avoid it. Lamb has to be spiced IMHO.

IMG_20210531_150844.jpg

Experiment tonight. Smokey manuka BBQ sauce, beef, olive oil, salt, pepper, horseradish sauce, garlic and onion marinade. No idea if it works or not.

Zardnaar

Legend
French bread basically a baguette?

Dinner tonight was great. Been making a weekly sandwich. Changed the ingredients slightly this week and added jalapeno. Lightly grilled the bread being day old.

IMG_20210531_172931.jpg

Small bottle of mustard for scale. Had passion fruit and white chocolate ice cream for desert. She who must be obeyed loved it. Gotta do something with chicken tomorrow with spicy jalapeno hummus.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
French bread basically a baguette?

Dinner tonight was great. Been making a weekly sandwich. Changed the ingredients slightly this week and added jalapeno. Lightly grilled the bread being day old.

View attachment 137555

Small bottle of mustard for scale. Had passion fruit and white chocolate ice cream for desert. She who must be obeyed loved it. Gotta do something with chicken tomorrow with spicy jalapeno hummus.
Yes: French bread = baguette

That’s a nice lookin’ sandwich.👍🏽

Remove ads