Cookin again

Zardnaar

Legend
sigh

Would that I could. Alas, not enough room in the freezer, nor enough room in my pants should I eat enough of it quickly enough to fit In the freezer.

I thought it was black forest eating it. Not sure if you guys use that term but it's basically chocolate and berry with biscuit/cookie chunks.

It wasn't super sweet or overwhelming. It's why I don't order the sticky date or caramel type desserts.

Zardnaar

Legend
Part of breakfast this morning.

IMG_20210603_113448.jpg

Softened some butter in the microwave and my home made bread with that jam I mentioned.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Stuff from last few days.

IMG_20210603_172958.jpg

Chicken 65 some sort of Indian dish. It was glorious served with....

IMG_20210603_173020.jpg

Cheesy garlic naan bread. One if the best Indian meals I've had.

Cooked this for my wife. Homemade bread, couple of slices used as a bed.
IMG_20210604_173732.jpg

Went over really well and I enjoyed it. Bread was served about ten minutes after it was baked. Delicious.

And some teasing. New chip flavours.

IMG_20210605_082052.jpg

Both were pretty damn good. Pricey though the the sweet chilli one isn't as nice as another sweet chill flavour though.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I love Chicken 65! I used to get it at an Indian-Mexican fusion place around the corner from me. They’d serve it all kinds of ways, but I favored getting it as tiny street tacos, $1.50 each, $1 on Wednesdays.

Unfortunately, that place folded and got replaced by a straight up taco joint. And I haven’t seen Chicken 65 anywhere else. 😕

Zardnaar

Legend
I love Chicken 65! I used to get it at an Indian-Mexican fusion place around the corner from me. They’d serve it all kinds of ways, but I favored getting it as tiny street tacos, $1.50 each, $1 on Wednesdays.

Unfortunately, that place folded and got replaced by a straight up taco joint. And I haven’t seen Chicken 65 anywhere else. 😕

Only my second or third time trying it. Local place about a mile away does it.

Vael

Legend
I tried this Blueberry and Peach Cobbler recipe: Peach and Blueberry Cobbler - Coco and Ash

It's interesting, you layer it, butter on the bottom, then batter, then fruit, sprinkle with sugar and the batter and butter will rise up through the fruit.

My main take aways:

This recipe (and other ones like it) have way too much sugar. Pairing sweet fruits with a 1 to 1 ratio of flour and sugar made the end result very sweet.

Peeling fresh peaches is a bitch. I tried the poaching in boiling water trick, and it was helpful, but didn't quite get there.

End result was still quite tasty, but I would cut the sugar significantly if I were to make it again.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
When I make stuff like that, I usually use canned pie filling. (Because I’m not a real baker.)

You might want to check out a cooking site for tips if you want to use fresh fruits. Among the celebrity chefs, Paula Deen springs to mind. See also Martha Stewart, Alton Brown. Frontier Woman.

America’s Test Kitchen, Allrecipes, Bon Appetit, Food Network, and the NYT all have good recipes too.

Zardnaar

Legend
Game night but turned into a non event. Picked up Ravenloft book and more dice.

Went to place that does burgers, waffles, pizza.

Mate ordered the Butcher. Lamb, beef and pulled pork with bbq sauce.

IMG_20210609_174454.jpg

Wife found an online online menu item the Hermano burger. Beef, smoked cheese, jalapenos, corn chips and jalapenos.

IMG_20210609_174827.jpg

And cookies and cream waffles.

IMG_20210609_175831.jpg

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Aaaahhhh, lamb. Tasty stuff, done right!

There was a place I found in Austin that actually did smoked BBQ mutton ribs. Freaking outstanding! One of the best treatments of the meat I’ve ever had.

The next time I went there, I found out the owner hadn’t been paying his taxes...

Zardnaar

Legend
Aaaahhhh, lamb. Tasty stuff, done right!

There was a place I found in Austin that actually did smoked BBQ mutton ribs. Freaking outstanding! One of the best treatments of the meat I’ve ever had.

The next time I went there, I found out the owner hadn’t been paying his taxes...

Lambs interesting it's not as safe as beef. Done right it's great done badly meh.

In the 80's our prime minister promoted NZ lamb by eating a lamb burger and kind of got laughed at.

They're not that unusual in the burger joints (Not McDonalds/Burger King etc or Fish and Chip Shops).

That butcher burger just to much meat for me. Mate said it was amazing.

Remove ads