Cookin again

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Tajin is a Mexican spice blend with mild chiles, salt and powdered citric juice. The flavor is lime-forward with a very slightly warm finish.
You call it a spice blend, we call it junk food that at best gets put on fruit, and at worse it gets mixed with sweet and other hot sauces to make alcoholic and not-alcoholic drinks or to make the already bad for you chips even worse . Cool to see it used as actual seasoning in a serious dish!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
You call it a spice blend, we call it junk food that at best gets put on fruit, and at worse it gets mixed with sweet and other hot sauces to make alcoholic and not-alcoholic drinks or to make the already bad for you chips even worse . Cool to see it used as actual seasoning in a serious dish!
Well, no commercial spice mix is as good as mixing your own, health wise, but I wouldn’t call them junk food!

FWIW, I’ve now had it on buttered, toasted sourdough 3 times, and it really plays nicely with it. I’d love to try that as the basis for some kind of chicken or turkey sandwich, but it will gave to wait, ‘cause I’m out.

Might give that open-faced sandwich a second try, aiming for something closer to an Eggs Benedict.

Orrrrr…maybe something like a breakfast burrito! Cheesy scrambled egg, ham & green onion rolled in the pita. Salsa.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Chicken salad on tortillas cut up into "pizza" slices.

IMG_20210901_175101.jpg

Wife's new favorite.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I didn’t take a pic, but I cooked a couple Cajun sausages this morning while I made my breakfast. Just boiled (just enough water to cover them, plus a little salt and butter) for 20 and then set on a hot pan to get a little char on the skin, then wrapped in foil to rest.

For lunch, and again for dinner (on my lunch break), I heated up 1 sausage, toasted a sandwich roll, spread some mustard, added a thin slice of cheese, and went to town. Delicious.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Scrambled egg patty with American & smoked Gouda cheese, seasoned with Tajin, black pepper, and parsley.

2 pieces of sliced Black Forest ham

Toasted, buttered pita

Topped with a smear of roasted pepper salsa and sliced green onions

Zardnaar

Legend
Lockdown restrictions eased to went for a twoule walk to get some groceries.

On the way the local convenience store was selling ies so thought I would check them out.

Vegan Kumara (sweet potato) and cashew nut.
IMG_20210902_094255.jpg

Bloody good pie actually. Had some spices in it reminding me of an Indian pie eg butter chicken or may a chicken green curry pie.

Zardnaar

Legend
Limited reopening and after 4 days decided to get takeaways at one of our favorite Fish and Chip shops.

Steak and Egg burger.

IMG_20210904_165723.jpg

And the fry up. Chips, meat patties and a hot dog (NZ style).

IMG_20210904_165706.jpg

Wife ordered a chicken fried rice.

I was gagging for not chicken but everything was very average to the point the local convenience store with it's heating bins served up better hotdog and chips.

Theeat pattie was exactly that. A thin deep fried beef burger patties. Growing up they were over an inch thick home made pattie with onions and potatoes on top battered and fried.

Wife's was very bland as well. Chips were ok along with the burger but nothing spectacular.

Remove ads